Below are some of the Academic Advising Center's most frequently asked questions. Kindly click on the questions to reveal answers.

Where is the Academic Advising Center?

The Academic Advising Center is located on the First Floor of the Foster Administration Building, Room 122.

Do I need to make an appointment?

No, the Academic Advising Center is available on a walk-in basis Monday thru Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.

Who is advised by the Academic Advising Center?

The Academic Advising Center advises the Arts & Sciences Undeclared (ASU) students, Liberal Arts (LAR) majors and Business majors to 45 credits. We will also assist students in transition from one major to another and those declared majors who need assistance locating their faculty advisors.

What is COIN?

COIN stands for Corsair On-line Information. Students can log onto COIN to view transcripts, register for courses, add/drop/swap classes during the add/drop period, withdraw from courses, check course descriptions, view schedules, view registration holds, view grades and appointment dates to register.

How do I access COIN?

To log into COIN, you will utilize your login information which is your UMass Dartmouth e-mail address and password. Students can call the student help desk at x8884 for help logging in and navigating COIN or visit the help desk located in the basement of the library.

Who is my advisor and where do I find this person?

You can view your advisor by logging onto COIN and by viewing your advisor assignment in the blue column on the right hand side of your student center page. If you are:

Freshmen or Sophomore Charlton College of Business (CCB) students, you are advised by faculty in the Academic Advising Center located on the first floor of the Foster Administration Building. Students also attend advising workshops each semester prior to registration. After you have earned 45 credits, your advisor will be located in the Charlton College of Business first floor.

Arts & Sciences Undeclared (ASU) students or Liberal Arts Majors (LAR), are advised by faculty in the Academic Advising Center on the first floor of the Foster Administration Building until they have reached 45 credits.

If you have a declared major you will have an assigned faculty advisor from within your department. Follow the links to view your advisor. If no advisor is listed, visit the departmental secretary to have one assigned.

Do I have to speak to an advisor before enrolling?

Yes, Freshman and Sophomores CCB majors will attend an advising meeting then meet individually with an advisor in the Academic Advising Center.

ASU/LAR students will also attend an advising workshop and then meet with an advisor in the Academic Advising Center to further discuss their individual plans.

Declared majors will meet with their assigned departmental advisor.

How do I contact my professor/advisor?

If your advisor is listed as Dartmouth Advising Center, you are advised in the Academic Advising Center. If you’re a declared a major, your faculty advisor can be located by clicking on the “directory” link on the upper right hand corner of the UMass Dartmouth homepage. You can find the room location of the faculty member and you can also e-mail directly from the directory. Professors are most accessible by e-mail. Also, professors usually list their office hours visible to students on their office doors. They will also list information on their course syllabus. Department assistants may also help locate a professor or put a note in their faculty mailbox.

Where do I register?

You will register on COIN. Freshmen and Sophomores in the Charlton College of Business (CCB), Arts & Sciences Undeclared (ASU) and Freshmen Liberal Arts (LAR) majors are advised through the Academic Advising Center located on the first floor of the Foster Administration Building. After attending a required advising meeting, students will see an advisor in the Academic Advising Center, the faculty member will remove the advising hold which will allow the student to register through the on-line advising system COIN on the appointed date. Declared majors will meet with their assigned advisor to have their advising holds removed. It is advised that students see their advisor well prior to their registration date.

How do I declare my major if I’m Business Undeclared or Arts & Sciences Undeclared?

The University requires you to declare a major by 45 credits.

If your major is business undeclared and you wish to declare your business major, you should obtain a Change of Major , take the form to the Chair of the department in which you wish to declare to obtain a signature, and then return the form to the Office of Undergraduate Programs, CCB 101 (for Business majors). Students must have a GPA of 2.0 or higher.

ASU students obtain the signature from the department chair of the intended major and the Dean of the College. Several majors have admission requirements that require the student to obtain certain a GPA before declaring the major. Check with an advisor in the Academic Advising Center for information regarding admission requirements for majors and department homepages.

How do I change my major to Business?

If you are not a Business major and wish to change your major to business you must meet the admission policy set forth by the Charlton College of Business. It is as follows; students outside CCB must have an overall GPA of 2.5 and 24 UMass Dartmouth credits. Those students who do not have an overall GPA of 2.5 must have an overall GPA of 2.0 and may take four business courses and achieve a GPA of 2.7 in those four courses. The courses are MTH 103, ACT 211, ECO 231 & POM 212 All prerequisites apply. No further business courses can be undertaken. Students take these courses at their own risk. If a student does not meet the requirements, he/she will not be allowed to take further business courses.

Once these requirements are met, the student needs to obtain a Change of Major form from either the Registrar’s office or the Academic Advising Center. They then need to take the form to the Chairs of both the entering and existing major and then to the Office of Undergraduate Programs located
in CCB 101.

Do any other programs require a GPA higher than 2.0?

Yes, the Psychology department requires you to have a GPA of2.75. The Sociology department requires a GPA of 2.5 with 45 credits and the Criminal Justice department requires students to achieve a GPA of 2.75 and 45 credits. The Economics department requires students to have a GPA of 2.5 in ECO 231 and ECO 232. Other departments may have admission requirements. Check with the respective departments.

How do I declare a minor?

Students who wish to declare a minor must complete the required credits as described in the appropriate section of the academic catalog. Students wishing to minor should consult the Chair of the Department of the minor for requirements. You can also view requirements here.

Can I take a course off-campus?

Yes, students must fill out a Prior Course Approval and attach a course description. Then take the form to the department chair for signature. Students then need to submit an official transcript to the Registrar's Office when the course is completed so that the credits can be posted. Remember, you must pass the course with a C- in order to transfer the credits, grades do not affect your GPA. Students are limited in the number of credits they can take off-campus, check with your department.

Can I take a course pass/fail?

Yes. For business majors, only non-business electives can be taken pass/fail up to 12 credits. No required course or General Education electives can be taken for pass/fail. Pass/Fail is non-reversible. Students cannot transfer pass/fail courses from other institutions.

For ASU students, the pass/fail option can only be used on free electives up to 12 credits. No distribution, General Education or major requirement can be used.

What if my GPA falls below 2.0?

Good Academic Standing: Cumulative GPA and semester GPA of 2.0 or above.

Academic Warning: Students whose cumulative GPA is 2.0 or above but whose most recent semester GPA is below 2.0 are placed on Academic Warning.

Academic Probation: Students whose cumulative GPA falls below 2.0 are placed on Academic Probation.

Extended Probation: Students whose cumulative GPA is below 2.0 but whose GPA for the most recent semester was 2.3 or higher and who have passed a minimum of two-thirds of the attempted credits are placed on Extended Probation. Students remain in this status until their cumulative GPA rises to a minimum of 2.0 or until they are dismissed from the University.

You can view the academic sanctions policy in the undergraduate catalog.

What is the University’s policy on Academic dismissal?

You may wish to view the sanction and dismissal policy in the undergraduate catalog.

If I fail a course and retake that same course will it replace my previous grade?

If a course is repeated, the course is noted as a repeat and removed from the GPA calculations. However, the course will remain on transcripts. The student may choose to repeat the course one time. Subsequent repeats must be approved by the Office the Dean of the appropriate college and Office of the Registrar. Repeats must be taken at UMass Dartmouth.

Do I have to meet all prerequisites of a course before taking the course?

Yes. All prerequisites must be met before taking a course. If you enroll in a class without meeting all prerequisites you may be administratively unenrolled from the class. Please see the course listing guide or UMass Dratmouth's Undergraduate Catalog for prerequisites.

I’m not doing well in my classes, where can I find a tutor?

Students can utilize the tutoring services in the Math and Business Center located on the basement level of the Liberal Arts (LARTS) building. The MBC offers tutoring for math and business courses.

For tutoring in English courses and other courses requiring the student to write papers, The Writing and Reading Center is located on the second floor of the LARTS building.

For tutoring in Science and Engineering courses, you may visit the Science and Engineering Center, second floor of the Science and Engineering (SENG) building, room 217B.

For tutoring in the Foreign Language, see the language lab on the second floor of the LARTS building.

How can I learn about careers and majors?

Faculty are a great source of information regarding careers in their field. Also, the Career Development Center located in the campus center, adjacent to UMass Pass can provide resources and testing in selecting a major or career.

Additionally, there are several career websites in which students can browse. Visit the Career Resources website. The Bureau of Labor Statistics publishes and Occupation Outlook publication that describe numerous careers, describes salary and job outlook, education requirements and more. You may visit the website at www.bls.gov/oco.

I need a major, I’m so confused, help me?

The University requires students to declare a major at 45 credits. If you are unsure about a major there are several steps you can take. Log onto the UMass Dartmouth website at www.umassd.edu/academics. There you will find the requirements for every major. You may wish to look at these to see if something interests you. You can access the catalog to look up course descriptions. You can visit the Academic Advising Center and meet with an advisor in a field you may be interested. You may also want to visit the Career Development Center in the lower level of the campus center building. There you may be able to take a career interest inventory and discuss the outcomes with a career counselor. Visit some of the career websites mentioned above.

What is the policy on course overload?

For students wishing to take over the maximum load of 18 credits, a Course Overload must be filled out and signed by the Associate Dean of the appropriate college.

I need to withdraw from a course, what do I do?

Students should make every effort to pass the course prior to withdrawing from it. Visit one of the tutoring centers on campus and ask your professor for assistance during office hours. If however, a student must withdraw, students can withdraw from a course prior to the deadline by going to the drop page on their COIN account. Students should reprint their schedule which will show a grade of “W” on the course that has been withdrawn. Students can also go to the Student Enrollment Center located on the first floor of the Foster Administration Building. If you have financial aid, make sure to visit the financial aid website to determine if a course withdrawal affects your future award at http://www.umassd.edu/financialaid/eligibility/financialaidwithdrawalpolicy/.

I want to study abroad, where do I start?

The International Programs Office is located in the LARTS building, room 016. Tel. (508) 910-6506.

How many credits do I need to be a sophomore, junior, senior?

Any UMass Dartmouth students with fewer than 30 earned credits is ranked a freshmen, between 30-59 earned credits is ranked a sophomore, between 60-89 earned credits is ranked a junior, and anyone over 90 earned credits is ranked a senior.

How do I withdraw/take a leave of absence from school?

Obtain a student leave form from Student Affairs. You will need signatures from the Dean or Asso./Asst. Dean of your College, if you have financial aid, you will need to meet with a financial aid counselor and if in housing, to meet the Resident Director and finally to obtain a signature from a Student Affairs official (2nd floor of the campus center).