Creating value for SouthCoast businesses
The Business Innovation Research Center (BIRC) helps businesses create value for customers and stakeholders by improving their performance through research, innovation, and applications. BIRC serves as a research center for businesses in SouthCoast Massachusetts by:
- sponsoring programs, seminars, and courses in emerging business theory and practice
- promoting innovative business research and applications
We facilitate the exchange of ideas and best practices among our business partners, faculty, students, and business experts through workshops, focused group meetings, seminars, panel meetings, and roundtable conferences.
Educational & research opportunities
BIRC creates educational and research opportunities for the region, our sponsor companies, students, and faculty. We promote intellectual activities in the Charlton College of Business through:
- conferences/workshops/executive forums
- joint publications that encourage cross-disciplinary collaboration
- grant activity
- journal articles
- student research
Recent Events Major Community / Campus Events
February 1, 2017
SouthCoast Food Security Forum Innovation for Food Security in the SouthCoast of Massachusetts: An Economic Imperative, featuring:
- Ellen Parker, Executive Director of Project Bread Short
- powerful presentations about local innovations
- panel discussion with local experts
- locally-sourced appetizers
December 7, 2016
Project Management Done Right!
Celebrating the Building of the Charlton Learning Pavilion: Learn project management secrets from those who built the Charlton Learning Pavilion
Featuring Michael Hayes, Assistant Vice Chancellor of Capital Projects; Lynne Brooks, Principal, Bruner/Cott Architects & Planners; Tim Bonfatti, President, Compass Project Management; and Steve Agostini, President, Agostini Construction Co., Inc.
October 17, 2016
- Dr. Arpita Joardar, Assistant Professor Management, "Liabilities and Benefits: Examining the Two Sides of the Foreignness Coin from Entrepreneurial Perspective"
November 6, 2016
- Dr. Liang Song, Assistant Professor, "Accounting Bank Accounting Regulations, Enforcement Mechanisms, and Value Relevance of Financial Statements"
December 1, 2016
- Dr. Selcan Kara, Assistant Professor Marketing, "How Language Affects Comparison of Brand Names”
December 5, 2016
- Justin Grey, MBA 2016, "Making Professional Presentations"
December 14, 2016
- Taylor Ternullo, MBA 2016, Linkedin / CCB Linkedin Group
Current Regional Projects
- Permit Repository Project, Town of Dartmouth, Dartmouth MA
- Food Rescue Smart App, Southeastern Massachusetts Food Security Network