The mission of BIRC is to help businesses create value for customers and stakeholders by improving their performance through research, innovation and applications. To accomplish the mission, we will serve as a public university research center for South Coast of Massachusetts through sponsored activities that promote both the academic and general body of knowledge encompassing innovative business research and applications.
Further business research and education through activities such as conferences, custom-tailored programs and seminars, and courses in emerging business theory and practice.
Facilitate the exchange of ideas and best practices among our business partners, faculty, students, and business experts through workshops, focused group meetings, seminars, panel meetings and round table conferences.
The Center's goals and objectives are focused on creating education and research opportunities that will benefit the region, our sponsor companies, students and faculty. These goals/objectives will be achieved through:
- Developing an interdisciplinary partnership between business academicians domestically and internationally to seek funding for innovative research projects.
- Seeking corporate, private foundation and government funding to support research projects in response to the need of regional industries.
- Conducting periodic meetings with local companies to share the best practices, identifying research topics, and disseminate leading-edge thinking.
- Providing research opportunities in business innovation to other academicians and students by identifying emerging research themes and investigating using multidisciplinary research teams and resources.
Promoting intellectual activities in Charlton College of Business (CCB) through:
- Organizing conferences/workshops/executive forums.
- Joint publications, encouraging cross-disciplinary collaboration.
- Grant activity
- Editing Journals, and
- Student research
BIRC will bring together researchers and practitioners from other universities and research institutions to develop a multidisciplinary research theme over the years in emerging enterprise network environments. It will give due priority to small to medium sized enterprises in the region as they form a significant part of the economy of South Coast of Massachusetts.
A primary focus of BIRC is to bring the intellectual resources of the Charlton College of Business and the other colleges within UMass Dartmouth to work on applied research projects that benefits the companies in the South Coast region. Local industries in services, marine and manufacturing, and students will be the main stakeholders of the center activities. BIRC will closely work with other centers such as Advanced Technology and Manufacturing Center (ATMC). The center will also strategically work with local Chambers of Commerce and other network of companies including non-profit organizations in South Coast region.
For more details on BIRC, see our brochureBIRC brochure (CCB)