The Boivin Center proudly announces its two programs for the fall semester-Senegal Comes to the Southcoast onOctober 27th and the Annie Royer and Les Garçons Musettes holiday concert on December 11th.
Pierre Thiam, chef, restaurateur and cookbook author, was born and raised in Dakar, Senegal. He came to the United States in the late 1980's to study chemistry at a Midwest university. While visiting friends in New York City prior to entering school, he was robbed of all his belongings. Forced to make a living for himself, he found work in a restaurant. There he found his true calling, being a chef, something unheard of in his native Senegal where cooking was a woman's domain. Chef Thiam owned and operated two very successful Senegalese restaurants in Brooklyn-Yolele and Le Grand Dakar. He currently owns and operates Pierre Thiam Catering and is a consultant for several New York restaurants. His first cookbook, Yolele was the first Senegalese cookbook written in English. It won the Jury Award in 2010 at the Paris Gourmand World Cookbooks Awards. His second cookbook, Senegal: Moderen Senegalese Recipes from the Source to the Bowl, was released last year. He has appeared on Iron Chef America and Parts Unknownwith Anthony Bourdain.
Chef Thiam will be giving a cooking demonstration of his mango fonio salad at 6:30 PM at Plate by Plate in the campus center. The audience will be treated to his creation. A copious hors d'oeuvres reception featuring six of his recipes will follow. Space for the event is limited. The cost is $50 and includes two beverages of your choice. Reservations can be made by calling Maria Sanguinetti at 508-991-5096 or by e-mailing her at email@example.com.
The holiday concert featuring Annie Royer and Les Garçons Musettes is co-sponsored with the Claire T. Carney Library Associates. This free event will take place at 2PM in the recital hall of the CVPA building. Annie Royer, a native of Paris, has been entertaining audiences with her musical and dramatic talent on both sides of the Atlantic. Les Garçons Musettes often perform with this extraordinary entertainer. It is an afternoon which is sure to entertain.
Illustrious individuals who have honored the Boivin Center with their presence
- 1986: Alice Parizeau, Lucie Therrien
- 1988: Jean-François Somain
- 1989: Roch Carrier, Roger Violette, Omer Boivin, Lois Pines
- 1991: Pierre Capretz, Dr.Gaëtan Brulotte
- 1992: Brian Thompson, Gérard Le Tendre, Jacques Borel
- 1993: Naïm Kattan
- 1994: Alice Dawn, Albert Coté, Maxime LeForestier, Serge Kerval, Richard Wilbur, Peter Sandler
- 1996: Dr. Madamou Soumaré, Normand Demers, Jacques Parizeau
- 1997: Frederick Wiseman, Annie Royer, Patrick Noe, Misha DeFonseca
- 1999: Nicole Brossard, Helene Dorion, Francine du Plessix Gray
- 2000: Julia Child
- 2001: Pierre de Boisdeffre, Stephane Chemlewsky, Frédéric Martel, Lisa Gossels
- 2002: Anne-Christine Rice, Le Grand Dérangement, Marie-Claire Blais, Senator Paul Simon
- 2003: Prof. William Carter, Marcel Marceau, Polly Platt, Maia Weschler
- 2004: Prof. John Rassias, Prof. Adam Braver, Véronique Mistycki, Timothy Mooney
- 2005: Prof. Emmanuel Dongala, David Plante, Lucie Therrien, Josée Vachon
- 2006: Prof. Patrick Henry, Richard Hétu
- 2007: Claudia Hommel, Bob Moreen, Jean-Claude Baker
- 2008: Sophie Freud, Frédérique Hébrard, Louis Velle
- 2009: Florence Delay, John De Mado
- 2010: David Slavitt, Ruth Hartz, Margo Moore
- 2011: Linda Urbach
- 2012: Joan Nathan, French Cajun Celebration
- 2013: Charles Rearick, Sophie Michaux and Artem Belogurov
- 2014: Kathleen Turner, Guila Clara Kessous, Dr. Jeremiah J. Lowney Jr., Dr. Laura Morelli, Eric Vincent
- 2015: Jacques Pépin, Sarah Lew Miller, Joyce Lazarus, Mo Willems, Kate Betts, Lucie Therrien and Josée Vachon
- 2016: Valéry Freland, François Furstenberg