Although Biology/Marine Biology graduate students typically have undergraduate training in biology, we also encourage students from other disciplines with a strong biology emphasis to apply. A strong applicant will have a solid knowledge of chemistry, physics, and biology (i.e., cellular, molecular, evolutionary, and organismal). Before applying, students are encouraged to directly contact faculty whose research areas match their interests.
All completed application materials must be received by February 15 for TA consideration. Applicants are selected both on the basis of their qualifications and on how well their research interests align with faculty seeking graduate students.
Applicants must submit a complete application package to the University’s Office of Graduate Studies (address below) or apply online at http://www.umassd.edu/graduate/graduateapplication/
• Completed, signed Application Form.
• Official scores sent directly from the general Graduate Record Examination (GRE).
• Official transcripts of all post-secondary study.
• A personal statement that indicates their specific biological interests and goals.
• Recommendation letters (3).
• If the applicant’s native language is not English, a recent TOEFL score must be submitted or the applicant must have earned a baccalaureate degree in the United States. An additional phone interview may be required to determine English proficiency if applying for any type of assistantship.
Please forward all credentials to:
Office of Graduate Studies
285 Old Westport Road
Dartmouth, MA 02747-2300