Our Master of Arts in Teaching Secondary English is a rigorous and comprehensive interdisciplinary program designed to provide you with the background, tools, and knowledge necessary to engage in effective and creative teaching in today's classrooms.
We prepare you to teach both literature and writing at the secondary-school level. In addition, we prepare you to teach the major literary genres as well as texts usually included in secondary English and college curricula.
- MAT 610 - Educational Research and Technology
- MAT 611 - History and Foundations of American Education
- MAT 612 - Instructional Methodology
- MAT 613 - Urban Education and Social Issues
- MAT 614 - Curriculum: Theory and Practice
Course Descriptions – Middle/Secondary
Master in Teaching Degree Options
We offer two degree options for students who are interested in becoming teachers. Both of our options provide you with core courses and graduate-level courses in English.
The Master Thesis option requires:
- 3 MAT courses from the list of five Core Courses
- 5 graduate-level courses in English
- 2 semesters of MAT 699 - Thesis.
The Non-Thesis option requires:
- 5 Core Courses
- 5 graduate-level content courses in English
Students with at least a bachelor's degree from an accredited institution of higher learning may submit an application. You will need to:
- Send an official transcript(s) from colleges or universities
- Write a three-page statement about your writing and professional background and goals
- Complete a graduate application