Our undergraduate program offers majors and minors in both French and Spanish as well as an opportunity to concentrate in either French or Spanish within the Liberal Arts major. Our program provides students with both interactional and linguistic proficiency in these languages and introduces students to Francophone and Hispanic cultures and literatures.
In classes at all levels, students learn to:
- engage in interactions with speakers of the target language for a variety of purposes and in a variety of contexts, using socially and culturally appropriate forms for participating in conversations, establishing relationships with others, providing and obtaining information, expressing feelings and emotions, and expressing opinions.
- understand and interpret written and spoken language on a variety of topics and manifest growing awareness of the social and cultural influences shaping the production and use of knowledge in the target language-speaking world
- present information, concepts, and ideas to an audience of listeners or readers on a variety of academic and non-academic topics.
Our departmental mission is to enable students at all levels to:
- develop communicative ability in the language of study
- comprehend the relationship between literary creations and the values and perspectives of diverse societies
- understand the relationship between cultural practices and the values and perspectives of diverse societies
- develop an awareness of political, historical, business, artistic, religious and ecological developments in these societies
- compare and contrast U.S. and French/Spanish/Hispanic creations, practices and values
- participate in community service programs
- explore higher levels of intellectual interests
- meet local, regional and/or national needs
For more information on Majors, Minors, and Concentrations, click here.
For more information on our Language Program Objectives, click here.
For more information on the French Program, click here.
For more information on the Spanish Program, click here.
See for information on undergraduate programs at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth.