Application Steps for Liberal Arts Online Degree Completion Program
Collect the following information needed to complete the online application:
- Personal information, including social security number and family information
- Your emergency contact information
- Green card number if you are a permanent resident
- Visa status if you are an international applicant
- Your high school attendance and graduation dates
- If you have attended other colleges before applying to UMass Dartmouth, have those attendance dates and (if applicable) graduation dates available
Payment of a $40 application fee is needed to complete your application. We currently accept Visa and MasterCard for payment of the non-refundable fee. Please have your credit card ready at the time you start your online application.
Additional Materials Required:
Degree completion programs build on the foundation of college-level work that students have completed before they come to UMass Dartmouth. Typically, degree completion students transfer in 30 or more credits. The additional materials listed below are required both to help us confirm that you meet admission requirements and to advise you how best to complete the BA degree based on your transfer credit review.
The requirements for transfer admission:
Students with 45-75 credits may be accepted in degree completion programs through the UMass Dartmouth transfer credit policy. Eligible students for the Degree Completion Program have either of the following:
- 45-60 credits from an accredited community college
- 75 credits at an accredited university
- You will need to submit official transcripts of all previous college or university courses for which you enrolled
- If you currently are enrolled in any courses, you will need to provide a list including institution, course number, course title, and number of credits
- Photocopies of catalog pages with course descriptions for the work you have completed, to help us evaluate your college/university transcripts properly. Mark the courses you have taken and the college name on each page; failure to submit this information may result in our not being able to award credit
Test Scores if required
- SAT I/ACT scores if you apply with fewer that 30 college credits to transfer
- TOEFL scores if you are an international student (see below)
Personal Essay (Optional)
If there is any additional information you would like us to consider concerning your application or your goals for your degree completion program, you are welcome to submit a personal essay of up to three pages.
For International applicants, in addition to the application for admission, the following are required:
- A transcript of high school courses and grades, translated into English
- Results of the SAT or ACT
- Results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), unless the student has attended a school in which the language of instruction is English for at least one year
- Declaration and Certification of Finances (pdf)
- An essay or personal statement
- For students being sponsored by agencies, companies, or other organizations: an affidavit of support, signed by an appropriate official
The awarding of transfer credit for courses taken at other institutions prior to admission is determined by the Admissions Office and dean, or designee, of the appropriate college. A C- grade is the minimum acceptable grade for receiving transfer credit. Transfer credits are recorded on the student's permanent UMass Dartmouth record.
After you apply online, you will receive your student identification number from UMass Dartmouth. Please write your name and your student identification number on every item you send either by email or postal mail.
Mail materials to:
University of Massachusetts Dartmouth
285 Old Westport Road
North Dartmouth, MA 02747-2300
If you have any questions regarding the Liberal Arts Degree Completion program, its admission requirements or curriculum, please contact:
Shari Evans, PHD
Associate Professor, English Department
Director, Liberal Arts Program