UMass Dartmouth's Bachelor of Political Science Online Degree Completion Program provides students with the opportunity to develop an understanding of political institutions and processes in a global community. Students graduating in this program emerge as leaders in federal, state, and local governments and pursue careers in law, business, international associations, and non-profit organizations.
Participants will understand how to access and synthesize professional writing on public affairs while polishing their own written and oral communications skills. The courses build a foundation for knowledge in American and comparative politics, as well as international relations and political theory.
Students who earn a bachelor's degree in political science will:
- develop research skills including research design, data analysis, and interpretation of political science
- understand concepts, theories and empirical findings in political science
- assess basic research skills including research design, data analysis and interpretation
- access, understand and synthesize professional and popular writing on public affairs
- formulate and analyze arguments including their structure and force
- assess the relevance and weight of evidence
- organize their ideas in a focused paper or presentation
With these skills, students will graduate capable of fulfilling the top three expectations of the new college-educated employee:
- strong communication abilities (oral and written)
- ability to assess a situation well and develop a course of action
- an ability to work independently
Students who enter the Bachelor of Political Science Online Degree Completion Program transfer in up to 60 credits from a community college or 75 credits from a four-year institution. These credits can fulfill the major and General Education or University Studies courses that are pre-requisites for upper level course work in the political science major.
Online programs and courses are offered by the Departments and Colleges of the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth through UMass Dartmouth University Extension.