The Undergraduate Certificate in Sustainability Studies is designed to foster greater student awareness of the sustainability and related fields. It provides learning opportunities for students in majors with highly structured curricula, as well as opportunities for students simply seeking a broader understanding of sustainability as a way of comprehending and interacting with our environment.
The undergraduate certificate requires 12 credits of approved sustainability studies coursework.
Academic year offerings will be posted as the term approaches.
The Undergraduate Certificate in Sustainability Studies helps students to:
- Investigate sustainability by conducting an integrated critical analysis across disciplines
- Understand the challenges of sustainability in relationship to the earth's finite resources
- Determine how social, economic, and physical systems interconnect and reciprocate on micro and macro levels as they relate to sustainability
- Assess various ideological and cultural representations of human society and its relationship to the natural world as they relate to sustainability
- Think critically and creatively about sustainable solutions to global problems
Online programs and courses are offered by the Departments and Colleges of the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth through UMass Dartmouth University Extension.