Undergraduate Programs

Middle and Secondary Education BA/BS-MAT (4+1 Program)

To hold a Massachusetts Initial License you must:

  • possess a bachelor’s degree
  • pass the Massachusetts State Educator Tests (MTELs) and
  • complete a teacher preparation program that encompasses a full semester Student Teaching Practicum.

UMass Dartmouth offers teacher licensure programs at the graduate level only. Undergraduates may begin graduate coursework by enrolling in the BA/BS-MAT (4+1) Program during their Junior year.

“Education is for improving the lives of others and for leaving your community and world better than you found it.”

— Marian Wright Edelman

The BA/BS-MAT Program is open to students who have completed 60 credits and have maintained a GPA of 3.0. Students are allowed to take up to 15 credits of Education courses in place free electives. These courses can be transferred directly to a Master’s degree upon graduation. That is, you can graduate from UMass with a Bachelor’s degree in your major and a Master’s degree in Teaching for 135 credits.

Students from the following majors are eligible:

English Biology French Liberal Arts
History Chemistry Spanish Psychology
Math Physics Portuguese  

You may obtain your initial license in one of the following areas:

English General Science  Mathematics  Portuguese
History Chemistry  Spanish  
Biology Physics



Course Lists

BA/BS-MAT Degree: Middle/Secondary (15 credits)

You may take the following courses before completing your BA or BS*

  • EDU 500 Fundamentals of Teaching and Learning (15 hours pre-practicum)
  • EDU 511 Contemporary Instruction (pre-requisite EDU 500)
  • EDU 512 Teaching and Managing Inclusive Classrooms (pre-requisite EDU 500, requires 20 hours pre-practicum)
  • EDU 552 Sheltered English Immersion
  • Either EDU 518 Assessment for Instruction or EDU 519 Technology & Instruction or another elective approved by the MAT Committee

*Upon completion of you BA or BS, you will complete the additional degree/licensure requirements.

How to Apply
*Upon completion of your BA or BS, you will complete the additional degree/licensure requirements.

  • Submit a completed 4+1 Application Form, along with a copy of  your transcript to the address on the form.
    You must be admitted to the program to register for courses.
  • MTEL schedules can be located at www.mtel.nesinc.com.
  • Students should submit an application for the MAT-Initial program to Graduate Studies during their final undergraduate semester.

paths to licensure