All departmental majors are expected to meet each semester with their advisor to review their academic progress and register for classes. Students can check on COIN for the name and contact information of their advisor. If an advisor is not listed in COIN, students should contact the Department Secretary (Ida Almeida, firstname.lastname@example.org, 508.999.8401). PCE students should contact the PCE office for advising support.
Students are expected to track and take responsibility for their progress - and advisors are expected to provide information, advice, and support in a timely and easily accessible manner. Problems with the advising process should be brought to the attention of the Department Chair. Advisors are generally not available over the summer. Please contact the Department Chair or CJS Program Director if you have any questions over summer break. If you have not yet declared a major, are thinking of majoring in sociology, anthropology, or crime and justice studies, and would like further information, see criteria for Admission into the Department and make an appointment to see the Department Chair. The Academic Advising Center also offers guidance on important decisions such as selecting a major.
Tips for registering
To register for courses each semester, be sure to do the following:
- Make an appointment with your advisor as soon as possible during the advising period (sign-up sheets are posted on individual faculty doors).
- Review your progress to degree on COIN and note all questions you would like to discuss with your advisor.
- Review your course options for the following semester and make a preliminary schedule. The Course scheduling planning aid can be helpful with this process. If you are trying to plan your progress to degree over several years the Degree planning aid may be helpful.
- Become familiar with how to register on COIN.
- Meet with your advisor. PLEASE NOTE that your advisors will only take the registration hold off after meeting with you in person.
- Register as soon as your advising hold is taken off. Courses fill up quickly so be sure to do this as soon as you can.
To get relevant forms go to Advising Forms.
Transfer students or study abroad credits
- Make sure to review your transfer credits with your advisor.
- If you do not have an assigned advisor, contact the Department Chair.
- Be sure to complete a Junior year review/certification form with your advisor so that you know what requirements you still need to fulfill for graduation.
- Be sure to register for graduation. Review your progress to degree with your advisor to make sure that there are no outstanding requirements. Contact the Department Chair or CJS Program Director if you have any questions.
- You will receive notification from the Department Chair after the certification process (usually 1-2 weeks after graduation) if you have any outstanding requirements.
- Take the time to talk with your advisor about your post-college plans!
Declaring a Sociology/Anthropology, or CJS major or minor
To declare a major or minor in the Department see Admissions Information.