Bright career outlook
Employment of accountants and auditors is expected to grow faster than average for all occupations through the year 2016—in part due to:
- changing financial laws and regulations
- increased scrutiny of company finances
Professionals with certification, such as CPAs or CMAs, increase their employment advantages.
Accounting: professional overview
The accounting profession plays an essential role in a modern economy.
Accountants are important members of an organization's decision-making team, with responsibilities for:
- financial planning
- interpretation of financial results
Investors, lenders, government agencies, and other external parties also rely on accountants and auditors to provide accurate and reliable financial statements about an organization.
Accounting at UMass Dartmouth
You’ll build a strong foundation for a career in private or public accounting—learning how to:
- prepare, analyze, and communicate information for financial planning, budgeting, directing, and controlling daily operations
- apply accounting concepts, standards, and regulations in preparing, auditing, and analyzing financial statements and tax returns
Students may also prepare for certification:
- Certified Management Accountant (CMA)
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
- Certified Internal Auditor (CIA)
- Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE)
- Certified Financial Planner (CFP)
- Enrolled Agent (EA)
Types of positions:
More info: www.bls.gov/oco/
Average starting salary: $49,671
The accounting degree is also a good basis for a career in forensic account and fraud examination, personal financial planning, and tax planning.