Offered as: major
This degree is offered in two options: as a 100% online degree completion program for transfer students, or as an on-campus degree completion program for returning mid-career students.
The Online B.S. in General Business Administration (GBA) is a transfer program for undergraduate degree completion featuring 100% online course delivery. It is open to applicants with at least 24 transferable credits, any level of work experience, and a GPA of at least 2.5.
The On-campus B.S. in General Business Administration (GBA) is designed for mid-career students returning to college to complete their undergraduate degree. We generally encourage such students to complete a degree in a specific discipline, but recognize that this doesn't suit some mature students. To enroll in the On-campus GBA program, application must meet the following requirements.
- Must be applying for admission to the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth and bringing in a minimum of 45 transfer credits completed elsewhere.
- Must possess significant full-time professional work experience away from college.
- Must meet the minimum transfer credit requirement and/or be a returning student who has been away from the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth for five years or more. Those who lack the minimum 45 hours of transfer credit are encouraged to take courses at a Community College (though with no guarantee of admission to the GBA program).
- Submit a short essay explaining why you seek the GBA instead of a degree in a specific discipline. The essay should also describe the kinds of upper-level business courses you intend to take.
- Gain hands-on work experience through Charlton's internship programs
- Consult with faculty and career advisors to identify where you want to go in your career—and how to get there
- Put your knowledge into action with student organizations such as Enactus and DECA
General business administration major
The GBA curriculum prepares you for a career in general management. You'll be ready to evaluate an organization's objectives, analyze its internal and external environments, and create effective management strategies and tactics to achieve an organization's goals.
You gain proficiency in:
- management of the functional areas of business
- analysis of business processes using the skills necessary to improve their efficiency and effectiveness
- strategic operations across diverse and fluid business environments
- policies, procedures and systems that effectively enhance individuals and the organization in which they work
For the BS in business administration (BSBA), you'll complete the remaining credit hours in business courses to graduate with 120 credits overall.
Further you career options with an MBA, MS in Healthcare Management, or MBA/JD
Related academic areas
- Acushnet Company
- Fidelity Investments
- State Street
Sample graduate schools
- Bridgewater State University
Chair, Decision & Information Sciences
Charlton College of Business, Room 326