Installing the Printer Software
To use the Law School PrintLess printers with your personal computer, you must download and install a special print driver. Remember that you must be logged into your computer as an administrator to install software.
Download and UnZip the Driver Installer
- Open a web browser, and visit http://www.umassd.edu/cits/printless
- Scroll to the bottom of the page, and look in the Laptop Printing from the Law School section
- The W2K installer is used for Windows 2000, Windows XP, and 32-bit versions of Windows Vista and Windows 7
- The x64 installer is used for 64-bit versions of Windows Vista and Windows 7
- If you are unsure if your computer is using a 64-bit OS, right click on My Computer on the Desktop or Computer in the Windows menu, and select Properties, 64-bit OS versions are indicated in the System section
- Right-click on the desired Drivers for Windows OS link
- Choose Save Target As from the contextual menu
- In the Save As dialog box, navigate to the Desktop
- Click Save
- The file is downloaded, close your web browser
- The installer appears on the Desktop
Install the PrintLess Software
- Double-click to open the installer, the Package Installer dialog box is displayed, as shown below
- Click Install, the Installer progresses through a series of steps as shown below
- Click Finish
Verify the installation
- Click Start > Printers and Faxes or Windows > Devices and Printers
- The LawPrintLess printer should appear as shown here
Using the Printless Printer
The LawPrintLess printer works like any other printer on your computer. From within any application, choose the Print command, select the Law-PrintLess Printer, select any desired printing options, and then click Print. You are required to enter your UMD Logon information, and give the print job a name. You do not need to select a print location in advance. Your print job will be available from any release station in the Law Library.
Note: you must be actively connected to the campus network, or establish a VPN connection to print from off campus.
Remember that you must physically visit a release station to release the print job within 2 hours of printing. If not, your print job will be deleted from the queue, and you will need to print again.
To make the most of your free print allocation, please:
- Proofread documents carefully before you print them
- Print in grayscale instead of color when possible
- The Law-PrintLess printer for Windows defaults to double-sided, print double-sided unless absolutely necessary