JIM ROBITAILLE: Biography
Guitarist and composer, Jim Robitaille, has performed internationally as a sideman and a leader of his own groups. His television and live performances include: The BET Jazz Channel, The Time Warner Music Choice Jazz Channel, PBS Television, The Baird Auditorium at the Smithsonian Institute's Museum of Natural History, Washington, D.C, The Bearsville Theatre, Woodstock, N.Y, The Wang Center, Boston, MA, The Knitting Factory and Smoke in New York, as well as several tours in the U.S and abroad, performing at festivals and clubs.
Robitaille has performed and or recorded with Jazz greats such as Dave Liebman, Karl Berger, Bob Moses, Santi Debriano, Oscar Stagnaro and Jim Odgren, and has appeared on over 20 recordings as a leader and sideman.
The Jim Robitaille Group's debut recording entitled "To Music", featuring saxophonist Dave Liebman, received international critical acclaim, winning three international composition awards for three of his compositions from the recording. The CD was number five in the top ten list of 2004 by the Daily Ipirotikos Agon and the Apopsy in Greece and was the publishers pick for All About Jazz and the Boston Herald. The recording received international airplay and was #1 chart-bound on the Jazz Week Jazz chart.
- The 9th Annual Thelonious Monk International Jazz Composers Competition sponsored by BMI.
- The 2002 Great American Song Contest, First Place Instrumental Category.
- The 2002 Great American Song Contest, Outstanding Achievement in Songwriting Award.
- 2011 Assets For Artists.
- The Julius Hemphill Jazz Composers Alliance Competition.
- The International Songwriting Contest.
- Numerous performance grants from the Massachusetts Cultural Council For the Arts since 1989.
- Trine “Politics”, Fuller Street Music
- Trine “+1”, Trine Arc Records
- The Jim Robitaille Group “To Music” Whaling City Sound
- Rick Frank “Yellow Mountain” Decker Creek Records
- Rick Frank “Brookline Summer” Decker Creek Records
- Rick Frank “The Labyrinth” Decker Creek Records
- Marcus Monteiro “MM4” Whaling City Sound
- Bobby Santos “I Found My Way Home”
- Bruce Abbott “Duets”
- Matt Richard Jim Robitaille Duo “Art Of The Duo” MJR
- Matt Richard “Hawthorne Street Connection” MJR
- MM4 Live “Jazz Chaos” Poetry Book/ CD by Tracy Soloman
- Sarah Bishop “Graceful Soul Band” Whaling City Sound
- Liner notes for Joe Beck John Abercrombie “Coincidence” Whaling City Sound
- Just Jazz, Cape Cod Jazz Compilation
- Budrus: Award Winning Palestinian Feature Documentary
- Dancing Dogs “Fishing in the Desert”
- Dancing Dogs “Cynanthrophy”
- Dancing Dogs “Patience” Whaling City Sound
Robitaille has studied Guitar and Improvisation with Jazz guitarist Jon Damian at the Berklee College of Music, Boston, MA, and Improvisation with Charlie Banacos. Robitaille has performed concerts and taught workshops, clinics and master-classes in Quebec Canada, St John U.S.V.I, and at Westfield State College, Berklee College of Music, Brandeis University, Holyoke Community College, The University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, Cape Cod Community College, Connecticut College, Western New England College, Bristol Community College, Falmouth Academy and Tabor Academy.