Kenneth Saltman, Ph.D.,
Pennsylvania State University, McGill University
Specializes in Educational Policy and Politics, Sociology of Education, Social and Cultural Theory, Curriculum Theory, Educational Leadership, Globalization and Education, Critical Pedagogy, Political Economy of Education.
Kenneth J. Saltman is a Professor in the Department of Educational Leadership where he teaches courses in the Educational Leadership and Policy Studies PhD program. He received his PhD and MA in Curriculum and Instruction from Pennsylvania State University and his BA Honors in Philosophy from McGill University. He grew up in southern New England and prior to graduate school taught English as a Second Language in Pusan, South Korea. He taught graduate and undergraduate courses at DePaul University in Chicago and St. Joseph’s University in Philadelphia.
His research interests include sociology of education, philosophy of education, educational politics and policy, the cultural politics and political economy of education and mass media, critical pedagogy, cultural studies, critical theory, globalization and education, educational leadership, curriculum theory, the militarization of schools and society, and philosophy of sport and the body. He has been a prolific author and early outspoken critic of what has been termed neoliberal educational restructuring or corporate school reform.
Dr. Saltman’s scholarship has been distinct for bringing together an analysis of the economic, cultural, and political dimensions of public school privatization, situating it in terms of broader social trends and global struggles. He is the author most recently of The Politics of Education: A Critical Introduction (Paradigm 2014), The Failure of Corporate School Reform (Paradigm Publishers 2012), and The Gift of Education: Venture Philanthropy and Public Education (Palgrave Macmillan 2010) which was awarded a 2011 American Educational Studies Critics Choice Book Award. He also recently co-authored Toward a New Common School Movement (Paradigm 2014) and Neoliberalism, Education, Terrorism (Paradigm 2014). He received a Fulbright Scholarship on Globalization and Culture.
|ELP 653||Political Economy of Urban Education|
|ELP 563||Public Finance in Education|
|ELP 561||Law and Education|
|ELP 691||Dissertation Seminar|
|ELP 600||Integrative Seminar|
|ELP 653||Political Economy of Urban Education|
|ELP 563||Public Finance in Education|
- Saltman, Kenneth J., DeLissavoy, Noah, Means, Alex, Toward a New Common School Movement Paradigm Publishers 2014.
- Saltman, Kenneth J. The Politics of Education: A Critical Introduction Paradigm Publishers 2014.
- Dileo, Jeffrey, Giroux, Henry, McClennan, Sofia, Saltman, Kenneth, Neoliberalism, Education, Terrorism Boulder: Paradigm Publishers 2014.
- Saltman, Kenneth J. The Failure of Corporate School Reform Boulder: Paradigm Publishers 2012.
- Saltman, Kenneth J. The Gift of Education: Public Education and Venture Philanthropy New York: Palgrave March 2010.
- Saltman, Kenneth J. & Gabbard, David A., (eds.) Education as Enforcement: The Militarization and Corporatization of Schools 2nd Edition New York: Routledge 2010.
- Saltman, Kenneth J. Capitalizing on Disaster: Taking and Breaking Public Schools Boulder: Paradigm Publishers 2007.
- Saltman, Kenneth J. (ed.) Schooling and the Politics of Disaster New York: Routledge 2007.
- Saltman, Kenneth J., The Edison Schools: Corporate Schooling and the Assault on Public Education New York: Routledge 2005.
- Brown, Enora & Saltman, Kenneth J., (eds.) The Critical Middle School Reader New York: Routledge 2005.
- Saltman, Kenneth J. & Gabbard, David A., (eds.) Education as Enforcement: The Militarization and Corporatization of Schools New York: Routledge 2003.
- Goodman, Robin Truth & Saltman, Kenneth J., Strange Love: Or How We Learn to Stop Worrying and Love the Market (co-written with Robin Truth Goodman) Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield 2002.
- Saltman, Kenneth J., Collateral Damage: Corporatizing Public Schools-- A Threat to Democracy Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield 2000.
- Kenneth J. Saltman, “Learning from the Neoliberal Movement: Toward a Global Justice Education Movement” Journal of Educational Administration and History (UK) V47i3 2015, pp. 315-326.
- Kenneth J. Saltman, “The Austerity School: Grit, Character, and the Privatization of Public Education” Symploke Volume 22 n 1-2 (2014) pp. 41-57.
- Kenneth J. Saltman, “Neoliberalism and Corporate School Reform: “Failure” and “Creative Destruction” Review of Education, Pedagogy, Cultural Studies Volume 36 issue 4 2014.
- Kenneth J. Saltman, “Response to ‘Individuality, Equality, and Creative Democracy – The Task Before Us’ by Jim Garrison” American Journal of Education V118i3 2012, p. 389-393.
- Kenneth J. Saltman, “Why Henry Giroux’s Democratic Pedagogy is Crucial for Confronting Failed Corporate School Reform And How Liberals Like Ravitch and Darling-Hammond Are Making Things Worse” Policy Futures in Education V10n6 2012.
- Kenneth J. Saltman, “The Neoliberal Assault on Teacher Education in the United States” Aula de Encuentro (Spain)n15 2012, pp. 95-106.
- Kenneth J. Saltman, “Urban School Decentralization and the Growth of “Portfolio Districts”” June 2010 Great Lakes Center for Education Research and Policy available at < http://www.greatlakescenter.org/docs/Policy_Briefs/Saltman_PortfolioDistricts.pdf>
- Henry A. Giroux and Kenneth J. Saltman, “Obama’s Betrayal of Public Education?” Critical Methodologies and Cultural Studies V9n6, 772-779 (2009).
- Saltman, Kenneth J. “The Rise of Venture Philanthropy and the Ongoing Neoliberal Assault on Public Education: The Eli and Edythe Broad Foundation” Workplace: A Journal for Academic Labor N16 (2009) available at: <http://m1.cust.educ.ubc.ca/journal/index.php/workplace/article/view/65>
- Saltman, Kenneth J. “Putting the Public Back in Public Schooling: Public Schools Beyond the Corporate Model” Journal of Social Justice 2009.
- Saltman, Kenneth J. “Capitalizing on Disaster” JAC V28 2008.
- Saltman, Kenneth J. “Gambling with the Future of Public Education: risk, discipline, and the moralizing of educational politics in corporate media” Policy Futures in Education V5n1 2007.
- Saltman, Kenneth J. “Schooling in Disaster Capitalism: How the Political Right is Using Disaster to Privatize Public Schooling” Teacher Education Quarterly Spring, 2007.
- Saltman, Kenneth J. “The Right-Wing Attack On Critical And Public Education In The United States: From Neoliberalism To Neoconservatism” Cultural Politics V2n3 November, 2006.
- Saltman, Kenneth J. “Creative Associates International: Corporate Education and “Democracy Promotion” in Iraq The Review of Education, Pedagogy & Cultural Studies V28n1 January-March 2006, pp. 25-65.
- Saltman, Kenneth J. “Coca-Cola’s Global Lessons: From Education for Corporate Globalization to Education for Global Justice” Teacher Education Quarterly, Special Issue on Critical Pedagogy, 2004.
- Saltman, Kenneth J. “The Strong Arm of the Law” Body and Society, 9(4), 2004, special issue on the militarized body and society edited by John Armitage.
- Saltman, Kenneth J. “The Securitized Student” Workplace Issue 5.2, 2003, available at www.workplace-gsc.com.
- Saltman, Kenneth J. “Education as Enforcement: The Militarization and Corporatization of Schools” Cultural Logic 2003 available at http://eserver.org/clogic/2003/2003.html (reprinted excerpt from “Introduction”, Kenneth Saltman and David Gabbard, (eds.) Education as Enforcement)
- Saltman, Kenneth J. “Junk-King Education” Cultural Studies, 16(2), March 2002.
- Saltman, Kenneth J. and Goodman Robin Truth, “Rivers of Fire: Amoco’s iMPACT on Education and Other Corporate Incursions” The Review of Education, Pedagogy, & Cultural Studies, Vol. 23n4, 2001.
- Saltman, Kenneth J. “Men With Breasts” Journal of the Philosophy of Sport , Vol. XXV ,1998.
- Saltman, Kenneth J. “Why Doesn’t This Feel Political?” Journal of Critical Pedagogy, Vol. II, issue1(Refereed Online Journal -- http://www.lib.wmc.edu/pub/jcp/jcp.html), November, 1998.
- Saltman, Kenneth J. “Democratic Education Against Corporate School Reform: The New Market Bureaucracy in U.S. Public Schooling” in Joao M. Paraskeva and Thad LaVallee eds. Transformative Researchers and Educators for Democracy Rotterdam: Sense Publishers 2015, pp. 7-22.
- Saltman, Kenneth J. “The New Two-Tiered Education System in the United States: Expanding and Commodifying Poverty and Inequality” in Stephen Nathan Haymes, Maria Vidal de Haymes and Reuben Jonathan Miller eds. The Routledge Handbook of Poverty in the United States 2015, pp. 226-232.
- Saltman, Kenneth J. “Learning to be a Psychopath: The Pedagogy of the Corporation” in Masood Raja (ed.) Critical Pedagogy and Global Literature New York: Palgrave Macmillan 2013.
- Saltman, Kenneth J. “The New Market Bureaucracy in U.S. Public Schooling” in Left Behind in the Race to the Top Charlotte: Information Age Publishers 2013.
- Saltman, Kenneth J. “The Rise of Venture Philanthropy and the Ongoing Neoliberal Assault on Public Education: The Case of the Eli and Edythe Broad Foundation” in William Watkins (ed.) The Assault on Public Education New York: Teachers College Press 2011.
- Saltman, Kenneth J. “From Carnegie to Gates: The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and the Venture Philanthropy Agenda for Public Education” in The
- Gates Foundation and the Future of “Public” Schools (ed. Philip Kovacs) New York: Routledge 2010.
- Saltman, Kenneth J. “Corporate Education and "Democracy Promotion" Overseas: The Case of Creative Associates International, Inc in Iraq, 2003-2004” in American Post- Conflict Educational Reform From the Spanish American War to Iraq (edited by Noah Sobe) Palgrave Macmillan 2009.
- Saltman, Kenneth J. “Corporatization and the Control of Schools” in Michael Apple (et al) (eds.) The Routledge International Handbook of Critical Education, Routledge 2009.
- Saltman, Kenneth J. “Introduction: Section on History and Theory” in William Ayers (et al) (eds.) Routledge Handbook of Social Justice Education Routledge 2008.
- Saltman, Kenneth J. “Schooling and the Politics of Disaster” in Deron Boyles (ed.) The Corporate Assault on Youth, Peter Lang Publishers 2008.
- Saltman, Kenneth J. “Privatization” in David Gabbard (ed.) Knowledge and Power in the Global Economy, 2nd edition, Lawrence Erlbaum Associates 2007.
- Saltman, Kenneth J. “Militarization” in David Gabbard (ed.) Knowledge and Power in
- the Global Economy, 2nd edition, Lawrence Erlbaum Associates 2007. Saltman, Kenneth J. “School Commercialism” Battleground Schools edited by Wayne Ross and Sandra Mathison Lawrence Erlbaum Associates 2007.
- Saltman, Kenneth J. “The Breathing Breach of Etiquette” in Etiquette: Reflections on Contemporary Comportment, edited by Ron Scapp, State University of New York Press 2006.
- Saltman, Kenneth J. “What is the Marketization of Education?” Key Questions for Educators, edited by William Hare and John Portelli, Caddo Gap Press, 2005.
- Saltman, Kenneth J. “Section Introduction: The Social Construction of Adolescence” in Enora Brown and Kenneth Saltman (eds.) The Critical Middle School Reader Routledge, 2005.
- Saltman, Kenneth J. “The Securitized Student: Meeting the Demands of Neoliberalism” in Defending Public Schools edited by David Gabbard, Perseus Press, 2004.
- Saltman, Kenneth J. “Michael Milken and the Corporate Raid on Education” in The Electronic Book Review edited by Marc Bosquet and Katherine Wills, Alt-X, 2003.
- Saltman, Kenneth J. “Embodied Promise: The Pedagogy of Market Faith in Bodybuilding” in Body Movements, edited by Svi Shapiro and Sherry Shapiro, Hampton Press, 2002.
- “Hidden Markets” Review of Hidden Markets by Patricia Burch Teachers College
- Record December 2009. “A Brief History of Neoliberalism (David Harvey)” Policy Futures in Education V5n2
- 2007. “Education, Inc.” Review of Education, Inc. edited by Alfie Kohn and Patrick Shannon
- Teachers College Record April 2003. “Public Spaces, Private Lives” Review of Public Spaces, Private Lives: Beyond the
- Culture of Cynicism by Henry Giroux Teachers College Record April 2002.
- “Beyond Bedsheets and Burning Crosses” Review of Presence of Mind: Education and the Politics of Deception by Pepi Leistyna Educational Researcher, May 2001.
- “Dancing with Bigotry” Review of Dancing with Bigotry: Beyond the Politics of Tolerance by Donaldo Macedo and Lilia Bartolome, Educational Researcher 2001.
- Saltman, Kenneth J. New Players, Different Game: Understanding the Rise of For-Profit Colleges and Universities by William Tierney and Guilbert Hentschke Higher Education Research and Development V28i4 August 2009.
- Saltman, Kenneth J. Expelling Hope: The Assault on Youth and the Militarization of Schooling by Christopher G. Robbins TCRecord December 22, 2008.
- Saltman, Kenneth J. Against Schooling: For An Education That Matters by Stanley Aronowitz Book Smarts Fall 2008.
- Saltman, Kenneth J. The Gospel of Wealth by Andrew Carnegie Book Smarts Fall 2008. Saltman, Kenneth J. Theory for Education by Greg Dimitriadis and George Kamerelis
- Book Smarts Summer 2007. Saltman, Kenneth J. Tough Choices for Tough Times by the National Center on
- Education and the Economy Book Smarts Summer 2007.
- Saltman, Kenneth J. The University in Chains by Henry Giroux Book Smarts Fall 2007.
- Saltman, Kenneth J. Education Plc by Stephen J. Ball Book Smarts Winter 2007.
- “Abandoned Generation” Review of The Abandoned Generation: Democracy Beyond the Culture of Fear by Henry A. Giroux. JAC (Journal of Advanced Composition) 2004.
- Truthout.org “Twelve Theses on Education’s Future in the Age of Neolibealism and Terrorism” by Jeffrey R. Di Leo, Henry A. Giroux, Kenneth J. Saltman, and Sophia A. McClennen September 4, 2014 available at <http://truth-out.org/opinion/item/24335- twelve-theses-on-educations-future-in-the-age-of-neoliberalism-and-terrorism>
- Truthout.org “Creating a Pedagogy in Common: Excerpt from “Toward a New Common School Movement” by Noah De Lissovoy, Alexander Means, and Kenneth J. Saltman February 17, 2014 available at < http://truth-out.org/opinion/item/22113-creating-a- pedagogy-in-common-excerpt-from>
- Truthout.org “The Failure of Corporate School Reform: Towards a New Common School Movement” by Kenneth Saltman December 5, 2011 available at: <http://truth- out.org/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=5280:the-failure-of-corporate- school-reform-toward-a-new-common-school-movement>
- “A Normative Political Vision for Social Justice in Education”, paper presented at CIES 2010 available at <http://www.periglobal.org/resource/reconceptualizing-education- globally>
- Truthout.org “Value Added Assessment: Tool for Improvement or Educational Nuclear Option?” September 14, 2010 by Kenneth Saltman at < http://www.truth-out.org/value- added-assessment-tool-improvement-or-educational-nuclear-option63244>
- Truthout.org “Obama’s Betrayal of Public Education? Arne Ducan and the Corporate Model of Schooling” by Henry Giroux and Kenneth Saltman <www. http://www.truthout.org/121708R>
- National Education Policy Center (fellow)
- American Educational Research Association
- American Educational Studies Association
- Lead Editor for the Americas Journal of Education Policy 2013-2014.
- Book Series Co-Editor for Routledge with Ron Scapp, Positions: Education, Politics, Culture
- Book Series Co-Editor for Routledge with Henry Giroux and Susan Giroux
- Book Series Editor for Paradigm Publishers/Routledge Critical Introductions in Education
- Book Series Editor for Palgrave Macmillan New Frontiers in Education, Politics, and Culture
- Pedagogy Division Co-Chair: Cultural Studies Association annual conferences, 2007, 2008, 2010.
- Editorial Board Review of Education Pedagogy Cultural Studies.
- Editorial Submission Reviewer: Cultural Politics; Theory Culture and Society; Teachers College Record; Comparative Education Review; Educational Policy; AERA conference proposals,
- Book proposal reviewer for MacMillan, Blackwell, University of Toronto Press, Palgrave, SUNY Press, University of Minnesota Press, Routledge.
- The Gift of Education Awarded AESA Critic’s Choice Book Award 2011
- Capitalizing on Disaster Awarded AESA Critic’s Choice Book Award 2008
- Fulbright Research Chair in Globalization and Culture, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario 2006