Oct. 30, 2014, Five Bioengineering students have won the UMD Office of Undergraduate Research Fall 2014 grants. Congratulations!
- Cole Belanger, Bioengineering, working under Prof. Christopher Brigham on "Microbial Biosynthesis Using Robust Carbon Sources"
- Noah Franklin, Bioengineering, Working under Profs. Maolin Guo (Biochemistry) and Tracie Ferreira on "Examining the Efficacy of Fluorescent Sensors for the Bioimaging of Iron Ions and Reactive Oxygen Species in Adult Zebrafish"
- Shravani Kakarla, Bioengineering, working under Prof. Christopher Brigham on "Bio-production of Ethanol via Co-culture of Ralstonia Eutropha and Saccharomyces Cerevisiae"
- Rachel Le, Bioengineering, working under Prof. Tracie Ferreira on "Drug Delivery: Testing Efficiency of Synthetic Divergolide Precursor in Inhibiting Melanoma Cell Growth"
- Nicholas Macedo, Bioengineering, working under Prof. Tracie Ferreira on "Silence is Golden: RNA Interference Techniques Serve as a Potential Melanoma Treatment Therapeutic"
Oct. 29, 2014, Prof. Calvert was interviewed on artificial muscles. Read here.
Sept. 22, 2014, The new Bioengineering lab suite had a ribbon-cutting ceremony joined by Avon CEO, Sheri McCoy. Read more here.
Dec. 19, 2013, Prof. Ferreira is featured in the Youtube video: Transformative Knowledge, Transforming Lives.
Nov. 30, 2013, Congratulations to Prof. Ferreira on her award of the "Teacher of The Year 2013"! Prof. Ferreira is also tenured and promoted to Associate Professor effective Spetember 2013.
Nov. 1, 2013, Golden Key International Honor Society acknowledges excellence in Academics, Leadership and Service. The Society has more than 400 chapters at colleges and universities around the world. Students are selected from the top % ranking in their class as well as their dedication to service.
Two of our Bioengineering students were selected this year to be inducted into the Golden Key Honor Society on Nov 1, 2013.
Danielle McDowell is a junior in our Bioengineering program. She was one of the founders of our BMES student chapter and has served as Vice President for two years. She is an EMT that returned to school to pursue her dream of working in the exciting field of Biomedical Engineering.
Johana Uribe is also a junior in our Bioengineering program. She came from Colombia 5 years ago, her native language is Spanish. In addition to her courses she volunteers as a tutor at the UMass workers program which is a center that offers English classes for non native speakers and GED classes as well. She also works in the CEDC in New Bedford, which is a community center where we help people (most of them immigrants) in their daily life, translations, lawyers, etc.
Prof. Tracie Ferreira
April 26, 2013, Bioengineering student Eben Crowford won "the audience choice award" in the three-minute undergraduate project presentation contest, the Standard Times reports.
Feb. 1, 2013, "Students flock to new UMass Dartmouth bioengineering major", the Standard Times reports. The Bioengineering major started to enroll undergraduate students in September 2011, and ...
Dec. 5, 2010, "UMD textile printing project may boost fortunes of local firms", the Standard Times reports. This is part of a wider effort in the department to apply inkjet printing to the production of complex materials, including sensors, smart textiles, living tissues and ...