Technical electives are courses above and beyond the required courses that allow electrical engineering students to broaden or deepen their engineering knowledge in one or more technical areas. Students are required to complete two technical electives. Generally, allowable technical electives are any 400- or 500-level courses in Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE), Mathematics (MTH), Mechanical Engineering (MNE), or Computer Science (CIS) except seminars, independent study, directed study, or required courses within the program. Additional allowable courses are:
- PHY 441 Statistical Thermodynamics
- PHY 442 Elements of Solid State Physics
Choices of technical electives must always be discussed with, and approved by, the student’s academic advisor prior to enrollment. Some restrictions are:
- No more than one technical elective course may be taken from outside the department of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE).
- The student must have the required prerequisites and/or co-requisites for each technical elective.
- Enrollment in 500-level courses requires the written permission of the instructor.