- Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering, Johns Hopkins University, 2002
- M.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, 1991
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, 1984
- Send Email
- Phone: 508.999.9280
- Fax: 508.999.8881
- Office: SEng Building, Room 116C
Professor Peter Friedman joined The University of Massachusetts Dartmouth in September 2002. Previously, he was a submarine officer in the United States Navy. Among the highlights of his naval career were 3.5 years as the engineer officer of the nuclear submarine USS Hyman G. Rickover and seven years teaching Mechanical Engineering at the United States Naval Academy.
Professor Friedman's research interests are in experimental fluid mechanics. Specific topics he has investigated include volcanic flows, the behavior of negatively buoyant jets and the dispersion of droplets in a turbulent flow. He has taught various courses in heat transfer, fluid dynamics, thermodynamics, dynamics, naval architecture and computer graphics.
- Oct 2002 to Present: Chairman, Department of Mechanical Engineering at The University of Massachusetts Dartmouth.
- Sep 2002 to Sep 2009: Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering at The University of Massachusetts Dartmouth.
- Aug 1995 to June 2002: Assistant Professor of Mechanical and Marine Engineering at The United States Naval Academy
- Jan 1992 to July 1995: Chief Engineer onboard nuclear submarine USS Hyman G. Rickover
- June 1989 to Aug 1991: Assistant Professor of Naval Science at Georgia Institute of Technology
- June 1986 to June 1989: Main Propulsion Assistant onboard the nuclear submarine USS Henry L. Stimson
- Licensed Professional Engineer: Massachusetts Registration: 40354
- Member of American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- Member of American Physical Society (APS)
- Member of American Nuclear Society (ANS)
- Member of American Geological Union (AGU)
Areas of interest
- Behavior of negatively buoyant jets
- Dispersion of droplets in a turbulent flow
- Experimental Fluid Mechanics
- Heat transfer
- Volcanic Flows
- Borsari, J.M. and Friedman, P. D., “Surfactant Effects on Critical and Minimum Heat Flux,” Accepted for publication in Journal of Enhanced Heat Transfer.
- Friedman, P. D., 2009, “Evaluating economic uncertainty of municipal wind turbine projects,” Renewable Energy, Vol. 35, pp. 848-489.
- Hoeg, D. P., Wang, Z., Friedman, P. D., and Laoulache, R. N. “Investigation of a coaxial airblast atomizer using particle image velocimetry and computational fluid mechanics,” Atomization and Sprays. Vol. 18, pp. 739-759.
- Friedman, P.D., Vadakoot, V., Meyer, W.J., and Carey, S., 2007, “Instability threshold of a negatively-buoyant fountain,” Experiments in Fluids. Vol. 42, pp. 751-759.
- Friedman, P.D., 2006, “Oscillation of a negatively buoyant jet,” Journal of Fluids Engineering, Vol. 128, pp. 880-882
- Friedman, P.D., Meyer, W.J., and Carey, S., 2006, “The fluid dynamics of phase mingling in a subaqueous volcanic eruption – an experimental investigation,” Journal of Geophysical Research—Solid Earth, Vol. 111.
- Friedman, P. D. and Katz, J., 2002, “Mean Rise-Rate of Droplets in Isotropic Turbulence,” Physics of Fluids, Vol. 14, pp. 3059-3073.
- Friedman, P. D. and Katz, J., 1999, “The Flow and Mixing Mechanisms Caused by the Impingement of an Immiscible Interface with a Vertical Jet,” Physics of Fluids, Vol. 11, pp. 2598-2606.
- Friedman, P. D. and Katz, J., 2000, “Rise Height for Negatively Buoyant Fountains and Depth of Penetration for Negatively Buoyant Jets Impinging on an Interface,” ASME Journal of Fluids Engineering, Vol. 122, pp. 779-782.
- Friedman, P. D., Winthrop, A. L. and Katz, J., 2001, “Droplet Formation and Size Distributions from an Immiscible Interface Impinged with a Vertical Negatively Buoyant Jet, ”Atomization and Sprays” Journal, Vol. 11, pp. 269-290.