Equipment and facilities
The physics department has a wide array of equipment, including computer work stations, lasers, and a fully equipped observatory with a state-of-the art 16" Meade computer controlled telescope. Students also have the opportunity to accompany faculty members conducting research at national science facilities.
- On site Observatory with 16" Meade Telescope. This is the largest computerized telescope in SE Mass.
- Computational Physics laboratory:
- PS3 Gravity Grid: 176 networked Sony PlayStation 3 gaming consoles running Fedora 8 Linux.
- IBM iDataPlex Hybrid CPU/GPU Cluster. This high performance computing cluster is hosted on campus and features IBM's energy efficient iDataPlex design with NVidia's powerful Fermi cards. Funded by NSF, AFOSR, and UMD.
- Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) Laboratory - extension from ATMC.
- Rotating Fluids Laboratory.