One of the College of Engineering’s greatest strengths is its extensive research programs. Faculty research sponsored by private industry and government agencies such as the National Science Foundation, Office of Naval Research, Department of Energy and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts have earned widespread recognition. Beyond that, research provides our students with invaluable practical experience and the opportunity to work closely with mentoring professors.
Research Focus Areas
The strength and diversity of the College research, labs, and centers reflect the depth and the often complementary nature of faculty research activities. This interconnectivity and advanced technology helps students and faculty achieve new heights for innovation and discovery-based learning.
- Biomedical/healthcare engineering
- Tissue/cell engineering; biotransport; rehabilitation;
- Intelligent systems & communication
- Marine systems; sensors/networks; wireless;
- Advanced Materials & Manufacturing Innovation
- Biomimetic materials; composite/polymeric materials; nanostructures; fiber-based/soft materials; biodesign/manufacturing
- Transportation; robotics; assistive technologies;
- Computational science & engineering
- Scientific computing; informatics; modeling/simulation
- Sustainability engineering
- Renewable energy; environment; resilient infrastructures
The College of Engineering is building research capacity through interdisciplinary faculty hiring and infrastructure upgrades in areas of strategic needs shown in the figure below.
Research by Department
Undergraduate Research Opportunities
An application for Undergraduate Research Incentive Program (URIP) can be found at URIP Application Form FY13 .
Intellectual Property and Grant information
- Export Control Policy http://www.umassd.edu/policies/activepolicylist/academicaffairs/exportcontrolcompliancepolicy/
- IP Policy http://www.umassd.edu/policies/activepolicylist/academicaffairs/intellectualproperty-dartmouth/
- IP Conflict of Interest Policy http://www.umassd.edu/policies/activepolicylist/academicaffairs/intellectualpropertycomventuresinterestconfl/
- Policy on Research Conduct http://www.umassd.edu/policies/activepolicylist/academicaffairs/responsibleconductofresrchscholarlyactivities/
Faculty members and students in the College of Engineering collaborate with industry members to find innovative solutions to corporate problems. Our researchers have worked with small businesses and large corporations in all areas of research. The College houses special facilities for various types of research and product development. Industry members who work with students and faculty typically find low-cost resources that provide great experience for our researchers.