Veterans Services was established to support UMass military and veteran populations with the service and assistance they deserve.
Degree programs offered through University Extension are approved for benefits available under the GI Bill.
Eligible individuals must be or intend to be admitted as a degree candidate. It is the veteran student's responsibility to notify the Office of Veterans Affairs of any change in course credit load. The student must remain in good academic standing to maintain eligibility.
UMass offers a number of resources for veterans:
- Financial Aid (we encourage all applicants to apply)
- VA web resources (PDF)
- GI Bill Benefit Programs (PDF)
- GI Bill Benefit Procedures and Guidelines (PDF)
How to begin:
- Apply for Benefits (process takes 4-6 weeks):
- Service members should complete VA Form 22-1990
- Dependents should complete VA Form 22-5490
- Dependents applying for chapter 33 benefits should complete VA Form 22-1990e
Application for GI benefits can also be completed using VONAPP, which is available on the Department of Veterans Affairs website: www.gibill.va.gov.
2. Apply Online or download the paper application.
3. Once admitted, contact Kristina Leonardo in the Veterans Affairs Office at 508.999.8615 to certify enrollment.
4. Be sure to obtain your DD214 (record of military service)
GI Bill Student Contact Information
Students who are eligible for benefits should contact the Kristina Leonardo in the Veterans Affairs Office at 508.999.8615.