Students whose families experience a change in financial circumstances are eligible for a review of those changed circumstances. Special circumstances include, but are not limited to:
- Loss of job or reduction in income
- Loss or reduction of some type of untaxed income or benefit
- Low parent income and student support of household expenses
- Separation, divorce or death of one of the student's parents or student's spouse
- Reduction in student income due to lack of a summer job
- Student leaving a full-time job to attend UMD
- Other unusual expenses or one-time sources of income
- Addition of parent to the number in college (granted only if related to job / employment, retraining, career advancement / promotion)
Students who wish to have their special circumstances reviewed, should submit a detailed letter describing the circumstance. You may be asked to submit additional documentation including copies of the most recent IRS tax transcript, W-2, and pay stubs to the Financial Aid Office.
A financial aid counselor will review the information contained in the letter and accompanying documentation and determine if an adjustment is warranted.