icon of a paper next to Apply online text
open door next to gray writing "Visit"

 Frequently Asked Questions

On-Campus Student Employment

Frequently Asked Questions

What kind of student employment is available on campus?

There are two kinds of student employment on campus: Federal Work-Study and non work-study. Essentially they are the same, except for the source of funding. Federal Work-Study jobs are funded by the Federal government and are available only to students who have Work-Study as part
of their financial aid award. Non work-study jobs are funded by the hiring department and are available to all students who wish to work on campus. While you may have more than one job on campus, you may have only one Federal Work-Study job.

Where are the jobs located?

There are many types of jobs available for both Federal Work-Study and non work-study employees. Students have the opportunity to work for a variety of employers, such as the library, the athletic center, the campus center, the computer support group, the web development team, housing and many others. There are also opportunities to work off-campus through the Federal
Work-Study program at non-profit agencies, You can find these by searching for Off-Campus positions on the Online Job Listings webpage.

Will the Federal Work-Study award get deducted from
my bill?

No, you will be paid an hourly wage for work performed and receive a paycheck every two weeks. There is a direct deposit option available through the Student Employment Office.

How do I find a job?

It is up to you to find your job. The Student Employment Office is here to support you in your job search but it does not do placement. The Student Employment web page has information pertaining to working on-campus.

The first thing you want to do is check out the Student Job Listing and then call the supervisors for those positions that interest you. Once a supervisor agrees to hire you, you need to get a hiring
form from the Student Employment Office and fill it out with the supervisor. You, the student, must bring the completed hiring form to the Student Employment Office in order to be hired.

Is there any other required paperwork?

You must also complete a W-4 and an I-9. The I-9 requires presentation of specific ORIGINAL forms of identification as listed on the back of the form. Many students present a photo ID and a Social Security card.

Where is the Student Employment Office?

Financial Aid Office,
Administration Room 105.

For more information, Contact:

Maryjane McManus
Student Employment Coordinator
Student Employment Site

Downloadable pdf of these Frequently Asked Questions.