icon of a paper next to Apply online text
open door next to gray writing "Visit"

 International Students

Finding a Job and Getting Paid

Quick Start Check List

  • Find a job.
  • Obtain a US Social Security Card. (The International Student Office can help you with this.)
  • Obtain a Student Hiring Form from the Student Employment Office. (If you have more than one job, you will need a separate hiring form for each job.)
  • Have the supervisor complete the bottom portion of the hiring form. Make sure student and supervisor signatures are on the form or it will not be processed for payroll.
  • Bring your passport, visa, I-20 or DS-2019 and Social Security Card to the Student Employment Office along with the completed hiring form before working.
  • Complete the rest of the required paper work (See Required Paperwork section).
  • All forms must be handed in and processed together
  • As soon as the Payroll Office returns the pink portion of the hiring form to your supervisor you may begin working.

Finding a Job

  • Student job listings are available on-line on the Student Employment Office home page.
    • Be certain to set the Job Type criteria to "Non work-study".
    • International students are not eligible for Federal Work-Study.
    • Click "Search".
  • If you would like to work for a specific department contact them right away.
  • You may have more than one on-campus job but you will need a separate hiring form for each job.

Your Paycheck

You submit your hours to your supervisor each week. Your supervisor submits your hours to the Payroll Office. Pay periods are every other Friday. Most student checks are mailed directly to your job site every other week. Check with your supervisor to find out whether you should pick up your check at your job site or the Payroll Office. The Student Employment Office does not disperse pay checks.

"Direct deposit" is an option, not a requirement. You may pick up a direct deposit application form at the Student Employment Office or the Payroll Office. If you choose direct deposit, a check stub specifying the amount deposited will be issued to you.

All of your earnings for each pay period will be included in one check. If you have more than one job, please let the Payroll Office know to which employer you would like your check sent.

Required Paperwork

For international students who have never worked at the University before:

  • W-4 tax form - determines your tax deductions for the Payroll Office.
  • I-9 form (Employment Eligibility Verification) - used to verify your citizenship and eligibility to work here in the United States.  Requires presentation of original identification as listed on the back of the form.
  • Hiring form - with both student and supervisor signatures.
  • Form 8233 - if required by a US tax treaty (must be renewed each calendar year).
  • Passport, visa, I-20 or DS-2019 and Social Security Card.

For students who have worked at the University before:

  • Hiring form - with both student and supervisor signatures.
  • Form 8233 - if needing renewal.

Who Is Eligible for Student Employment?

F-1 Visa Students

  • On-campus employment is always allowed with F-1 visa status without special permission.
  • Off-campus employment always requires special permission from the International Student Center.

J-1 Visa Students

  • Both on-campus and off-campus employment require written permission from the agency that issued your DS - 2019 form.

All Students

Only students enrolled or accepted for enrollment in a degree or certificate program at the University:

  • Undergraduates must be enrolled in a degree program.
  • Graduate students must be registered as a degree candidate.
  • International students may not work more than 8 hours per day or 20 hours per week when school is in session for one or any combination of departments. There are no exceptions. The 8 hours per day or 20 hour per week limit applies only during the academic year employment periods.

Stipend Versus Hourly Wage

The 8 hours per day or 20 hour per week limitation includes both those positions paid on an hourly basis and those paid with a stipend.  A stipend based position does have hours attached to it even though it is not based on an hourly wage.  A stipend is payment for work performed and therefore must be viewed as part of the 20 hours considered by the Department of Homeland Security regulations.


For questions about:

Your paycheck                            Contact:

Payroll Office
President's Office, Shrewsbury, MA

HR Direct Access                       Contact:

Human Resources
Foster Admin. Bldg.
Room 202

Form 8233                                   Contact:

Student Employment
Foster Admin Bldg.,
Room 105

Employment Eligibility Taxes    Contact:

International Student Center
Pine Dale Hall - Suite 7123