icon of a paper next to Apply online text
open door next to gray writing "Visit"

 The 1-2-3's of Hiring Students

Posting a Job

Student jobs, both Federal Work Study and non-work study, are listed on the Student Employment web page. All supervisors are expected to post and maintain their own job listings.

To post a job you will need a UMassDartmouth email username and password. Go to https://secure.umassd.edu/financialaid/studentemp/listings/. Once you have entered your posting it will be electronically sent to the Student Employment Office for approval. Once approved the job will be accessible to all students searching the job database. When you fill the position you can remove it from public view by using the edit function and setting the number of positions available to zero. This keeps the posting in the database, so if you wish to reactivate it all you have to do is change the number of positions to greater than zero. You also have the option of deleting the job from the database at any time.

Hiring a Student

The Student Employment Office recommends interviewing qualified candidates before hiring. This is an opportunity to inform the student of your expectations and the importance of the position. Be sure that the student clearly understands the job description, salary, department policies (i.e., dress code, time and attendance, confidentiality agreement, hours/schedule, attendance and reliability). At this point, the student should be reminded that their failure to adhere to these policies may or will result in dismissal.

Be certain that the duration of employment you advertise accurately reflects your department's commitment to retain the student employee.

Provide the proper training and supervision necessary for adequate job performance. Here you can download a Training Checklist.

Required Paperwork

Students will not be paid until all required forms are completed and turned into the Student Employment Office.  It is illegal for students to work before their hiring form has been submitted.

Required forms for students who have never worked at the University before:

  • W-4 tax form - determines tax deductions for the Payroll Office.
  • I-9 form (Employment Eligibility Verification) - used to verify citizenship and eligibility to work in the United States. Requires presentation of original identification as listed on the back of the form.
  • Hiring form - both student and supervisor signatures are required.

Required forms for students who have worked at the University before:

  • Hiring form - both student and supervisor signatures are required.

Note: the W-4 and I-9 forms are available on line on the FORMS page.

Timesheets and Paycheck

Students submit their hours to their supervisor each week. It is your responsibility to provide a timesheet log for the employee to record their hours each time they work. The supervisor is also responsible for reporting the hours to the Payroll Office each week. Student checks are mailed directly to the job site. The Student Employment Office does not disperse checks.

"Direct deposit" is an option, not a requirement. Direct deposit forms are available on the FORMS page, the Student Employment Office and the Payroll Office.

What to Expect Once a Student is Hired

Once Hired - Important Details for Student Employees and Supervisors.

 Who Is Eligible to Work on Campus?

Only students enrolled or accepted for enrollment in a degree program or certain certificate programs at the University.

  • Undergraduates must be accepted and enrolled in a degree program.
  • Graduate students must be registered as a degree candidate.
  • International students may not work more than 8 hours per day or 20 hours per week when school is in session. There are no exceptions.




For Questions About:

Your paycheck                                          Contact:

President's Office
Shrewsbury, MA

HR Direct Access                                      Contact:

Human Resources
Foster Admin. Bldg.
Room 202

Work Study Procedures/ Hourly Wage    Contact:

Student Employment
Foster Admin Bldg.,
Room 105 -

Employment Eligibility                              Contact:

Student Employment
Foster Admin Bldg.,
Room 105 -

Your Federal Work Study Award             Contact:

Financial Aid
Foster Admin Bldg.,
Room 105 -

Off-Campus Federal Work Study            Contact:

Career Development Center
Campus Center
Room 001 -