What is a First Year Living Learning Community (FY LLC)?
An FY LLC is a residential clustering of students who share academic or social and cultural interests. Students participate in various group activities, such as interactions with faculty, service projects, field trips, and social events.
FY LLC characteristics
- Focus primarily on first-year students and are located in our First Year Quad residence halls
- Build nurturing, welcoming atmospheres to increase learning and student satisfaction
- Facilitate personal relationships among students, faculty, and staff
- Encourage student participation in a variety of activities that foster a learning environment
FY LLC objectives
- Promote a sense of belonging for students in their campus community
- Explore capabilities that will aid FY LLC participants in their academic and personal lives
- Encourage critical thinking skills
- Enhance students' academic and social success
- Familiarize students with academic opportunities and resources at UMass Dartmouth
FY LLC options for 2012-2013
All first-year students who choose to live in the residence halls will rank the following six themes on their Housing Preference Form, using a rating system of 1 to 6 (where 1 is your top choice). The top four themes will be our First Year Living Learning Communities for 2012-2013, and we will use this information to make your housing assignment. We will do our best to place students in their top choices.
Students who do not submit their theme rankings will be assigned randomly.
Cornerstone FY LLC
Healthy Living FY LLC
Leadership FY LLC
Reach Out FY LLC
Quiet Housing Living Option (Healthy Living FY LLC only)
This housing option creates an environment conducive to a quiet lifestyle. Residents maintain a quiet living atmosphere 24 hours a day, Sunday through Thursday. Non-quiet hours are established for the weekend.
Substance Awareness Housing (Healthy Living FY LLC only)
This housing theme accommodates students who desire a substance-free environment. Many students electing this type of housing practice a substance-free lifestyle, are recovering from substance abuse, or have been adversely affected by substance abuse. Students wishing to live in this community agree not to consume alcohol, use illicit drugs, or introduce any harmful substances into the designated environment.
Admissions Tour Housing (Cornerstone FY LLC only)
This housing option offers students an opportunity to provide valuable assistance to the Admissions Office. Students electing this type of housing will have their suite—including the shared bathroom—available for tour groups to visit throughout the semester. The Admissions Office will have access to one vacant room within the suite and will show this room on campus tours while also highlighting the suite-style arrangement. Participating students will be asked to maintain a heightened standard of suite cleanliness.
The Admissions Office may occasionally seek additional assistance from students if they would like to receive compensation to work specified Admissions events during the school year.