IST 121: Introduction to Hindi
IST 151: Introduction to Indian Civilization
IST 121 (three credits)
Introduction to Hindi (The Language of Yoga)
Gen Ed Course Classification "C"
Introduction to the Hindi language. The course will introduce Devanagari (Hindi) script and help build skills in speaking, reading, and writing in Hindi at an elementary level, emphasizing development of communication skill. Students will learn common vocabulary and some grammar and gain the ability to form simple sentences. This course does not count towards the UMass Dartmouth bachelor's degree language requirement.
Time: 3:00 – 4:15PM
Day: Monday & Wednesday
Professor: T.K. Roy
IST 151 (three credits)
Introduction to Indian Civilization (The Oldest Living Civilization in the world)
Introductory historical survey of the Indian subcontinent the course deals with broad themes that relate to the history of India rather than taking a chronological approach.
- The concept of state in India at different periods
- Religious,cultural and racial diversity in India through the past four millennia
- The development and spread of religions in/from India
- The study and development of science,mathematics and other knowledge streams in India over different time periods
- The art and literature of India
Time: 9:30 – 10:45PM
Day: Tuesday & Thursday
Location: Textile Bldg, Room 112