icon of a paper next to Apply online text
open door next to gray writing "Visit"

 I-94 process

Please review the information below and on the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (U.S. CBP) website.    If you have questions after reviewing the material , please contact us at the International Student & Scholar Center (ISSC) at intl_office@umassd.edu or call 508-910-6633.

What is Form I-94?

Form I-94 is an electronic record created by the U.S. CBP at the time of your entry to the United States. Form I-94 is evidence of your lawful admission to the U.S. and is used in a variety of ways to document your legal status in the United States.  

Who uses the Form I-94 process?

Most new students, scholars, and interns; and all returning students and scholars who enter the U.S. through an airport will receive an electronic automated arrival Form I-94 record from a scan of your passport during the admissions process.  U.S. CBP  no longer issues a paper Form I-94 to students and scholars except as noted below. Passports will be stamped with your visa class, arrival date, and departure date.  F-1 and J-1 students will still receive the D/S notation on their passports.

How will I get a copy of Form I-94 if needed for other procedures and paperwork I may encounter as part of studying and and working in the U.S.?

How will this process help my application for a Social Security Number or a driver’s license?

Federal agencies including the Social Security Office or Registry of Motor Vehicles will receive the data much sooner than in the past.  Students and scholars need to wait only two or three days before proceeding with the application for a Social Security number or driver’s license.

Who still gets a paper Form I-94?

  • Students and scholars arriving by land (for example, from Mexico or Canada)
  • Students and scholars who arrive in the U .S. with incomplete documents undergo Secondary Inspection - scroll towards bottom of linked page

What about errors or lost forms?

Students who find errors on their I-94 or were issued a paper I-94 and then lose it can visit this U.S. CBP help page.

You may contact the International Student & Scholar Center (ISSC) at intl_office@umassd.edu or call 508-910-6633 for further information on the procedure for lost or incorrect forms.


For questions on the I-94 procedure, you can visit www.cbp.gov/I94.  There is a demonstration video under the I-94 FAQ tab as well as answers to the most common questions. You may also contact the International Student & Scholar Center (ISSC) at intl_office@umassd.edu or call 508-910-6633.



Updated 02/19/2015
Information adapted from SEVP and CBP materials