icon of a paper next to Apply online text
open door next to gray writing "Visit"
Small icon next to white bg says "Give"
plus sign and gray writing

Length of Study for Students in F-1 Status

Duration of Status

Students on an F-1 visa are admitted to the United States for a specific period of time. The official name is "duration of status." As long as you are following requirements to keep your status in force, you can legally remain in the U.S.

Duration of status includes:

  • The time during which you are pursuing a full course of study and making normal progress toward completing that course of study, (see catalog for details)
  • The time you may be working in authorized Optional Practical Training after you complete studies (if you qualify and are so authorized).

When you arrive in the U.S., either at the airport or another Port of Entry, border agents grant duration of status to F-l students by entering your date of arrival in the U.S. and the notation "D/S" in the upper right corners of two documents listed below that you will have in your possession. The first document you have received from us and the second document you will be given by the airlines before you land in the U.S. or by border agents if you enter through Canada or Mexico:

1. Certificate of Eligibility for Non-immigrant (F-l) Student Status (Form I-20)

2. Arrival and Departure Record (Form I-94)



Updated 7/19/2012





myCoursesmyCourses myAlertmyAlert LibraryLibrary
COINCOIN HRDirectHR Direct umasspassUMass Pass
ReservItReservIt ZimbraZimbra