This page explains the funding requirements for eligibility for the J-1 student visa.
- Full or partial funding from an institution, government, or from the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth
- J-1 students must be supported significantly by other than personal or family funds.
- F-1 status allows students to study here solely supported by personal or family funds, but this is not permissible under the J-1 visa.
- Two sets of original documents that show proof of your funding award
- The International Programs Office or University Admissions Office will request original proof of funds as part of the admissions process
- The International Student & Scholar Center will request original proof of funds during the visa application process with our office. Please see our Declaration and Certification of Finances.