icon of a paper next to Apply online text
open door next to gray writing "Visit"

 Health Insurance

Health Insurance

United States Department of State Requirements - Please Note:  Effective May 15, 2015, the U. S. Department of State will increase their minimum requirements.  This website will be updated at that time.

All J-1 visa holders and their dependents (J-2 visa holders) must have health insurance that meets the U.S. Department of State minimum requirements. These requirements, under the Code of Federal Regulations (22 CFR 62.14) are:

  • Medical benefits of at least $50,000 per accident or illness
  • Repatriation of remains in the amount of $7,500
  • Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his or her home country in the amount of $10,000
  • A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness.

Massachusetts State Requirements:

In addition to the U.S. Department of State requirement, J-1 exchange students who are degree-seeking students must also meet the Massachusetts health insurance minimum requirements. UMass provides such health insurance which must be purchased by J-1 degree-seeking students. More information about it can be found at the University Health Plans, Inc. website.

All J-1 visa holders must complete the Health Insurance Compliance Form , sign, and return it to the ISSC.

J Visa Category

Must Meet Department        Of State Requirements

Must Meet Massachusetts Requirements

Health Insurance

J-1 Degree Seeking Students



UHP, Inc.

J-1 Fulbright Students



Fulbright or UHP, Inc.

J-1 Non-Degree Seeking Students



Home insurance* or UHP, Inc.





J-2 dependents

Must fulfill the same requirements of the family member holding a J-1 visa

*IMPORTANT NOTICE: When a non-degree student chooses to have an insurance policy based in the home country, some medical providers may require the student to make the full payment for services rendered and then seek reimbursement from the insurance. In this case the student will be responsible for filing the paperwork directly with the insurance.


Updated 11/01/201