icon of a paper next to Apply online text
open door next to gray writing "Visit"

 Spouse or Dependents

This page explains requirements for bringing your family with you while you study in the U.S.

J-1 students may bring their spouse and unmarried minor children (under 21 years old) as dependents. Each family member will need a Form DS-2019 and will need to apply at an American embassy or consulate for a J-2 visa to enter the U.S.

Information about your immediate family

  • Your J-2 family can stay with you in the U.S. as long as your own J-1 status continues.
  • Your J-2 family can study part-time or full-time in the U.S.
  • Your J-2 family may apply for permission to work in the U.S.  Please consult the ISSC for further information about employment authorization for J-2 family members.

Information about other family

A family member who is not a minor child or spouse and wants to visit the U.S. may request a B-2 tourist visa.  The application process is explained on the U.S. Department of State website. The ISSC may provide you a Family Visit letter to assist the family member in obtaining this visa.





Updated 9/4/2014