icon of a paper next to Apply online text
open door next to gray writing "Visit"
Small icon next to white bg says "Give"
plus sign and gray writing

Two-Year Rule

Some J-1 students are subject to the U.S. Department of State two-year home residence requirement. This means that the student may not change to certain other U.S. visa types (H, L, K, or lawful permanent resident (LPR)) but must instead return to their home country for at least two years or apply for a waiver of the requirement. As a J-1 student, you will be subject to the two-year home-country residency requirement if your academic program is funded by either your home government or the U.S. government, or if it involves specialized knowledge or skills deemed necessary by their home country.

This page may help you learn whether you are subject to the two-year rule. More information about J-1 visas and the two-year home residence requirement can be found at the Department of State J-1 Visa Website, or by contacting the ISSC.  There are many aspects to determining whether someone is subject to the two-year rule, so we strongly recommend that you ask an international student adviser for help with this question.






Updated 6/21/2012











myCoursesmyCourses myAlertmyAlert LibraryLibrary
COINCOIN HRDirectHR Direct umasspassUMass Pass
ReservItReservIt ZimbraZimbra