Things to take care of once you've arrived on campus
Report yourself as a new student
First, bring your travel documents to the International Student & Scholar Center (ISSC) and report yourself as a new student. We are located in Pine Dale Hall, Suite 7123. F-1 students should bring the I-20 form with visa, passport, and I-94 record. J-1 students should bring the DS-2019 form with visa, passport, and I-94 record. If you have not printed out your I-94 record, you can do that at the ISSC. We will photocopy all your documentation to keep on file in the Center. You will also need to fill out a form to provide us your local address and emergency contact.
- Arrrange for temporary or permanent housing
- Unpack and settle everything in your room
- Visit the supermarkets nearby for purchasing any needs -see below
- Visit the health center and get your insurance card
- Attend the International Student Orientation
- Bring your campus map and walk around the whole school; find your classrooms
- Research information about getting a Social Security Number and getting a job on campus, etc.
- Log into the University MyUMassD portal
- When you have some free time
- Visit the Library or the Fitness Center
- Research getting a driving license
- Join some school organizations or clubs and be involved in the campus life
- Get familiar with this list of words you'll hear regularly spoken; visit American Slang to learn about the history of slang and other "quirks" in American English
- Convert metric measurements (including the outside temperature!) to the American standard unit of measurement.
- Find out what's going on at UMass Dartmouth and in the surrounding communities.
- Read up on everything Massachusetts has to offer.
If you have any questions, please email us at email@example.com . We will try to reply quickly!
There is another supermarket called Stop&Shop just past the Dartmouth Mall. The local bus route 9 that stops on campus goes there. While Wal-Mart has food and other supplies, Stop&Shop has basically food, such as fruit, bread, etc. Students who have a kitchen can go there to buy ingredients.
Target, Walmart and Stop&Shop all sell personal daily needs. However, the closest one is Target. You can walk to Target from campus in about 15 minutes. (It depends on where your dorm is located.)
Textbooks and most school supplies can be found in our Campus Book Store. You may also go online to Amazon.com for purchasing textbooks (but that is not a school-supported website; please be aware of the liability of the sellers). Target and Walmart also sell all kinds of school supplies, such as folders, pens, pencils, etc.
If you have any questions about how to get to a particular store, please feel free to email or call us. Our email address is firstname.lastname@example.org , our phone number is 508-910-6633. We will be glad to assist you!