icon of a paper next to Apply online text
open door next to gray writing "Visit"
Small icon next to white bg says "Give"
plus sign and gray writing

Pre-Arrival Information

Before Arriving at UMass Dartmouth

Arrival Form

Please complete this form in order for us to know whether you will attend UMass Dartmouth in the Fall and when you will arrive for orientation. As always, for questions, please feel free to contact us by e-mail at intl_office@umassd.edu. If you are requesting on-campus housing, please see the on-campus housing section in Housing Options below and follow the instructions.


International Students and Scholars must pay a SEVIS fee a minimum of three days prior to their F or J visa appointment at an embassy or consulate. Please access the following web site:


This web site will explain the fee, who has to pay it, and will provide instructions on the various methods available to pay it. Please be sure to print the receipt once you have paid the fee. You must bring the receipt to the visa appointment as proof of the SEVIS fee payment.

Back to top
(updated 06/14/2012)

Students can now check the status of their visa applications on line

U.S. Department of State (DOS) Visa Status Check

DOS has introduced the online "Visa Status Check," which allows both
immigrant and nonimmigrant applicants to check the status of their cases
at the Consular Electronic Application Center (CEAC).


Back to top
updated 07/01/2013

Before Departing Your Country

The U.S. Government has suggestions for departing your country. Click here for that information:


Back to top
(updated 06/14/2012)

Entering the U.S. - Form I-94 Automation

If you enter the U.S. after Friday, April 26, 2013, the U.S. Customs and Border Patrol (CBP) officer reviewing your documents at the port of entry will create an electronic automated arrival Form I-94 record from a scan of your passport during the admissions process. Please view this information about the the Form I-94 automation process.

Back to Top
updated 07/01/2013


 Student Organizations

There are many Registered Student Organizations (RSOs) on campus. See the full list of RSOs

Students from China may get more information from the Chinese Student and Scholar Association by contacting  umass.dartmouth.cssa@gmail.com.  Also, please visit http://www.china-nafsa.aief-usa.org/ for pre-departure information.

And Indian students can contact the Indian Student Association for assistance, either here http://www.umassd.edu/isa or by e-mail at isaumassd@yahoogroups.com.

We have international students from many other parts of the world who have are willing to speak with new international students, so if you would like to have someone contact you, e-mail the International Student & Scholar Center (intl_office@umassd.edu).

Back to top
(updated 06/14/2012)

Admissions Process Questions

For Graduate Studies you may email Elan Turcotte-Shamski at graduate@umassd.edu.

For Undergraduate Admissions you may email admissions@umassd.edu.

Questions regarding assistantships should be addressed directly to the academic department in which you will study.

Back to top
(updated 06/14/2012)



UMass Dartmouth can receive a wire transfer from the student's bank.

Students can log onto their COIN account (Corsairs' Online INformation) to see if the payment has been posted.

Questions about wire transfers or billing should be directed to

The Bursar's Office at: 508-999-8090 (International Call: 001-508-999-8090)
The Enrollment Center at: 508-999-8857 (International Call: 001-508-999-8857)

Or by email to the Bursar's Office

Ms. Helen Reilly
Assistant Bursar

Back to top

(updated 06/14/2012)

Required Health Immunizations and Insurance

All UMass Dartmouth students must submit a completed health form, with the immunization page signed by their health care provider, to UMass Dartmouth Student Health Services. If Student Health Services has not received your completed immunization form, you will not be allowed to register or attend classes

All UMass Dartmouth students must be immunized for the following:

  • Measles
  • Mumps
  • Rubella
  • Tetanus diptheria
  • Hepatitis B
  • Chicken Pox

In addition, all new residential students must read information about Bacterial Meningitis and either receive the meningitis vaccine or sign a waiver declining it. Both the meningitis information and waiver are avaible at the web site listed below.

Health Services has limited resources to assist with these required vaccines and urges students to receive these immunizations in their home countries.

For in-depth information regarding the immunizations and to download a health form, go to www.umassd.edu/studentaffairs/health/immureq.cfm

Health care in the United States is very expensive without health insurance coverage. All international students are required to purchase the University’s student health insurance and will be automatically billed for this coverage on the bill from the university. The health insurance covers a full twelve months and is effective from August 1 of the current year through July 31 of the next year.

Back to top
(updated 06/14/2012)

Housing Options

It is important to make arrangements for permanent housing before you arrive in the U.S., or else have money to stay in a hotel nearby temporarily while searching for permanent housing. There is no temporary housing on campus.

Off-campus Housing

Most graduate students prefer to live off campus. You will be responsible for finding your own housing if you live off campus. An off-campus housing listing can be found at http://www.umassd.edu/housing/offcampus. Many students find living off campus less expensive than on-campus housing. It is also very hard to cancel an on-campus housing contract. Be sure to read the guide to renting apartments and rooms. For additional information regarding tenants' rights in Massachusetts, please refer to the following website: http://www.hud.gov/local/ma/renting/tenantrights.cfm and to the Massachusetts Attorney General's website:  http://www.ago.state.ma.us/sp.cfm?pageid=1190

Disclaimer: This information is provided as a service to students with the understanding that the University has not inspected the rentals and cannot warrant their condition, nor can the University guarantee the professional behavior of the property owners or managers. A written rental agreement is recommended. Although care is taken to provide correct information, there may be unintended errors, changes or deletions without notification. Users of this information communicate, contract and do business with individuals, companies, or firms at their own risk. The University, officers, agents, and employees of the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth shall not be liable for any errors or omissions made in the compilation or printing of this information. 

On-campus housing

Both undergraduate and undergraduate students may live on campus, but there is one floor set aside for graduate students in Ivy Hall.  Please view this cost chart for on-campus housing.

Here are the steps to request on-campus housing:   

1.  Pay the housing deposit  (see **note below)

  • call the University credit card line at (001) 508-999-9129 and arrange payment of the $200 housing deposit; or 
  • mail a check for $200 to the University Enrollment Center, University of Massachusets Dartmouth, 285 Old Westport Road, North Dartmouth, MA 02747-2300 USA; your UMass Dartmouth student ID number must be written on the check; then

2.  Contact Housing Office

  • email Brad Rohrer, the Assistant Director for Housing Administrative Services, at brohrer@umassd.edu and request a housing contract.  You will be directed to the housing online contract at that time.
  • For additional information, please email housing@umassd.edu.  

Please note that the standard housing contract does not cover the full academic year and excludes housing during Thanksgiving Break, Winter Break, Spring Break, and Summer Break.  Students living on campus may choose a 10- or 12-month contract, that will allow them to live in the University residences during semester vacations and during the summer.  This information is included in the rules and regulations for students living on campus. 

**Unfortunately, it is not possible yet to pay your on-campus housing deposit through the University website or your COIN account

Back to top
(updated 04/10/14)

UMass Dartmouth area Guide & Campus Community

This website, Campus and Community, gives new UMass Dartmouth students information about the campus and local community and a good sense of what kinds of events and traditions you may see at UMD.  There is also additional visitor information on this page:  http://www.umassd.edu/graduate/visitorsguide.cfm

Some students have organized cultural groups on our campus for support and resources. Students from India may visit the Indian Student Association’s website, at http://www.umassd.edu/isa, or e-mail isaumassd@yahoogroups.com

Back to top
(updated 12/14/2012)

Meals on Campus

International students may either buy a meal plan on campus or purchase food to prepare from the local grocery stores. You may also add a specified amount of money to your UMass Pass (ID) Card and use it like cash at the various dining locations on campus. A meal plan requires you to pay for your meals for the academic year ahead of time. These meals are limited to the dining locations on campus and the specific hours that they are open. You are encouraged to research and to try the services offered on campus before entering into a contract with Dining Services. Once you have purchased a meal plan, it can be very difficult to cancel the contract.  For information on meal plans and all aspects of dining services go to http://www.dineoncampus.com/umassd/"

There are several large grocery markets near the campus: Stop and Shop http://www.stopandshop.com/ and Shaw’s Market http://www.shaws.com/.

 For information on UMass Pass, adding funds to your card and replacing your UMass Pass (ID) card visit www.umassd.edu/umasspass.

Back to top
(updated 06/14/2012)

Classes and Textbooks

There is no formal schedule for meeting with your academic advisor during Orientation, so you can e-mail ahead and make an appointment with the academic department or graduate program. Some departments will arrange to register you for your classes by e-mail at that time. The Campus Store will be open for extended hours during the first few weeks of the semester and they will have all your textbooks for sale. We recommend that you wait until after your first class to buy your textbooks. The cost of new books can range between $350 USD to $600 USD per semester. Visit the Campus Store website at http://umdcampusstore.com/ for more information.

Back to top
(updated 06/14/2012)

Sending and Receiving Mail

This website will tell you all you need to know about incoming and outgoing mail for students who live on campus. 

Student Mail

(updated 01/29/2013)

Back to top

Student Employment

As an international student, your visa type determines your ability to work, where you may work, and how many hours you may work. Most first year international students find it difficult to find employment on campus. For more information, see the Student Employment Office.

Many international students cannot work off campus until they have been in the U.S. for one full academic year per immigration regulations. After you have been enrolled for one full academic year, the International Student and Scholar Center has information regarding the requirements for working off campus.

Back to top
(updated 06/14/2012)

Social Security Numbers

In order to work in the United States, you must have a Social Security Number. In order to successfully apply, you must have proof of an offer of employment. According to the new regulations you are required to have a special document completed and signed by the immediate supervisor offering you the position and by staff members in the International Student and Scholar Center. If you do not have an offer of employment, you may not be eligible for a Social Security Number. This application process will be discussed at Orientation.

Back to top
(updated 06/14/2012)

Weather in Dartmouth

The weather in New England and around Dartmouth can range from extremely cold in the winter (below 0°F or -18°C), to extremely hot in the summer time (in excess of 90°F or 33°C). With this in mind, be sure that you have or can get adequate winter clothing such as boots, scarves, hats, and gloves. For information on current weather conditions in Dartmouth, please visit: http://www.umassd.edu/weather/

Back to top
(updated 06/14/2012)

Transportation to airports and in the local area

This section provides links to traveling to nearby airports and around the New Bedford/Fall River area.

Back to top
(updated 06/02/2014)





myCoursesmyCourses myAlertmyAlert LibraryLibrary
COINCOIN HRDirectHR Direct umasspassUMass Pass
ReservItReservIt ZimbraZimbra