icon of a paper next to Apply online text
open door next to gray writing "Visit"
Small icon next to white bg says "Give"
plus sign and gray writing

On-Campus Employment for International Students

F-1 Visa Students

On-campus employment is allowed during F-1 status and does not require special permission. So long as you remain in valid F-1 status, you may work on campus.  Regulations require you to have a job offer and complete the F-1 Job Offer Form.  Download the  form F-1 job offer‌.  See "Both Visa Types" below for limitations to on-campus employment.

Some pre-degree F-1 students in special programs such as the Navitas program are eligible to work only after they have completed the Navitas program requirements and matriculated into their degree programs.

J-1 Visa Students

J-1 students must receive the approval of the Responsible Officer (RO) or Alternate Responsible Officer (ARO) at the ISSC for any on-campus employment. J-1 students must provide proof of an offer of employment. This is done by obtaining a Hiring Form from the department where you have been offered work.  J-1 students should bring the Hiring Form to the International Student & Scholar Center (ISSC).  J-1 students should also prepare and bring this J-1 Student Employment Letter for signature by the ISSC for use with your Social Security Number application.

You must be in good academic standing and remain full-time in your school program. You do not need to demonstrate unforeseen economic necessity to receive this permission.  If your J-1 visa is sponsored by an outside agency such as Fulbright, contact the Responsible Officer (RO) at your sponsoring agency.  See "Both Visa Types" below for other requirements and limitations to on-campus employment.

Both Visa Types

You will need to apply for and receive a Social Security Number from the U.S. Social Security Administration in order to work at the University. Information about obtaining a Social Security Number is available at the International Student & Scholar Center and at the ISSC website; you may also visit the link below.  There is a waiting period of two weeks after you arrive in the U.S. before you can apply.

Applying for a Social Security Number (SSN)

On-campus employment can take the form of a job in an academic or administrative department (undergraduates or graduate students) and/or graduate assistantships. International students (F-1, J-1, etc.) are not eligible for on-campus "work-study" employment, which is sponsored by the U.S. Federal Government.

On-campus employment is limited to no more than 20 hours per week while school is in session but may be full time during vacations, semester break, and summer.


You may not work after your F-1 or J-1 program is complete (for example, upon graduation, at the end of an authorized employment period such as post completion OPT or Academic Training, or completion of an exchange program).

Employment Eligibility for Dependents

Dependents of F-1 visa holders, who hold the F-2 visa, may not work.

Dependents of J-1 visa holders, who hold the J-2 visa, may work in some circumstances, by application through the ISSC and approval from the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services. Please consult the ISSC for help.  (See also Spouse or Dependents.)

If the employment approval is granted,  the J-2 family member will need to apply for a Social Security Number. See information about how to obtain a Social Security Number in the section above.


Updated 11/5/2012