icon of a paper next to Apply online text
open door next to gray writing "Visit"

Travel Information

Many students plan to travel during their time at UMass Dartmouth, both inside and outside the U.S.  The most likely times are the Semester Break, Intersession, which is the period between the end of the Fall semester and the start of the Spring semester and is usually several weeks long; the March spring break week, usually around the middle of March; and the Summer Vacation, which begins at the end of the spring semester:

For information on the dates for breaks and intersession, please view the Academic Calendar.

Here are some important things to remember about your immigration documents and some suggestions to make sure your travel and return goes smoothly.  Please also check the links on the right for additional tips on successful travel and on keeping your documents safe.

Please give the ISSC at least two weeks' notice when asking for help with travel/immigration documents, except in emergencies. 

Only two officials on campus are authorized to sign your I-20 or DS-2019, and one must be available to give you a signature. Please e-mail Pat Mooney at pmooney@umassd.edu or the ISSC at INTL_Office@umassd.edu.  Contact us immediately if you have an emergency situation requiring you to leave the U.S. temporarily.

If you need to renew your entry visa, additional time will be required, since agencies outside the University will be involved.  Please see the ISSC staff for assistance. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO RE-ENTER THE U.S. IN TOURIST STATUS.

See special concerns regarding renewal of visas subject to Administrative Processing/Security Clearance.

If you have changed your status, you will need a new entry visa in the new status


What do I need when traveling inside the U.S. and returning?

When traveling locally--Dartmouth, Fall River, New Bedford--take copies of your documents with you.  See the Additional Important Travel Information link to the right for other tips about copying your documents.  Outside of the local area, you should carry a valid passport and a current, original I-20 signed for travel.  Please check with the International Student & Scholar Center if you are not sure about the status of your documents.

What do I need when traveling outside the U.S. and returning?

  • Original documents
    • current, unexpired, passport, valid for six months beyond your date of return
    • current, unexpired entry visa
  • Valid I-20 or DS 2019
    • travel signature up to date?
    • program end date on I-20 or DS 2019 valid beyond your date of return?
    • For students in Optional Practical Training (F-1) or Academic Training (J-1) does your form have the correct end date of your training period?
  • For F-1 students on Post-completion Optional Practical Training, current Employment Authorization Document (EAD card) and proof of employment; OPT students awaiting approval of a STEM extension are not permitted to travel outside the U.S.  Please consult the International Student & Scholar Center if you have special circumstances.
  • Approved Application/Authorization Form for J-1 students on Academic Training

Canada is a reasonable three-day weekend trip, either by plane or by car

  • Special Information about Canada

    • Citizens of some countries need visas to enter Canada, in addition to all your other paperwork for entering and studying in the U.S.   http://www.cic.gc.ca/
    • Even if you have an expired entry visa, you may still travel to Canada, Mexico, and the adjacent islands and return to the U.S. by using Automatic Revalidation, as long as the rest of your documentation is current and your visit to those places is not longer than 30 days.  Visit the Traveling To Canada links on the right.
    • IMPORTANT –  If you are planning to use Automatic Revalidation, please visit the International Student & Scholar Center so we can review your paperwork before you travel.  
    • Automatic Revalidation does not apply to citizens of Cuba, Iran, Syria, and Sudan.  Check for updates to this list.
    • Students who have been denied a visa renewal at a U.S. Consulate in Canada are not eligible to use Automatic Revalidation, but must return to their home country.





    updated 8/07/2014