icon of a paper next to Apply online text
open door next to gray writing "Visit"
Small icon next to white bg says "Give"

Health Insurance

United States Department of State Requirements for Health Insurance

All J-1 visa holders and their dependents (J-2 visa holders) must have health insurance that meets the U.S. Department of State minimum requirements.  Highlights of these requirements, under the Code of Federal Regulations (22 CFR 62.14) are:

  • Medical benefits of at least $50,000 per accident or illness
  • Repatriation of remains in the amount of $7,500
  • Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his or her home country in the amount of $10,000
  • A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness.

Information about purchasing UMass Scholar health insurance plan can be found at Aetna Health Insurance website.

All J-1 visa holders must complete the Health Insurance Compliance Form , sign, and return it to the ISSC.

J Visa Category

Must Meet Department        Of State Requirements

Must Meet Massachusetts Requirements

Health Insurance

J-1 Scholars, Researchers, and Interns




J-2 dependents

Must fulfill the same requirements of the family member holding a J-1 visa

*IMPORTANT NOTICE: When a scholar chooses to have an insurance policy based in the home country, some medical providers may require the scholar to make the full payment for services rendered and then seek reimbursement from the insurance. In this case the scholar will be responsible for filing the paperwork directly with the insurance.


Updated 6/21/2012