The information below may be helpful in understanding the student intern selection and appointment process, and includes links to a checklist, instructions, and application form for gathering information the International Student and Scholar Center will require to issue the DS-2019. Student interns use the DS-2019 to apply for the U.S. entry visa. Questions may be directed to the ISSC.
- student intern must be currently enrolled in and in good standing at an accredited postsecondary academic institution outside the U.S.
- internship must fulfill educational objectives for the degree program at the home institution
- student must be able to speak English; this ability has to be verified through an interview, a test, or other documentation
- student must have enough money to cover expenses for the entire stay in the U.S.
- students are identified and selected by the sponsoring department/faculty member;
- faculty sponsor must complete the following procedures and submit forms to the ISSC for each student intern:
Evidence of completed and approved University Honorific Appointment process
J-1 Student Intern Selection Application Form (link below), including verification of English-speaking ability and funding
DS 7002, Training/Internship Placement Plan (link below), including evaluation plan
Email approval from Office of Export Control clearing the appointment
Written evaluation at end of internship
Please view these required forms and information below:
J-1 Student Intern Certification of Language Proficiency
J-1 Student Intern Selection Application Checkllist
J-1 Student Intern Selection Application
J-1 Student Intern Evaluation Form
DS 7002 and DS 7002 Sample for guidance in completing original. Please transfer the information in the bottom three rows of Section 2 and the last box on Page 3 onto your original DS 7002 form.