Report yourself as a new student
First, visit the International Student and Scholar Center and report yourself as a new student. We are located in Pine Dale Hall Suite 7123. F-1 students should bring their visa, passport, I-20 and I-94. J-1 students should bring the DS-2019 with visa, passport, and I-94. We will photocopy all your documentation to keep on file in the Center. You will also need to fill out a form to provide us your local address and emergency contact.
Here is a suggested post-arrival checklist for international students
- Arrrange for temporary or permanent housing
- Bring your travel documents to the International Student and Scholar Center
- Attend the International Student Orientation
- Unpack and settle everything in your room
- Visit the supermarkets nearby for purchasing any needs (the closest one is Target)
- Log into the University COIN system:
Do you need to enroll in classes, or are you already enrolled?
Do you need an appointment with your academic advisor before enrolling?
Use COIN to find your advisor's name and location!
- Bring your campus map and walk around the whole school; find your classrooms
- Purchase your textbooks in the Campus Book Store or online
- Visit the health center and get your insurance card
- Visit the Library or the Fitness Center if you still have free time!
- Research information about getting a Social Security Number, driving license, getting a job on campus, etc.
- Join some school organizations or clubs and be involved in the campus life
- Visit this website and get familiar with American Slang and other "quirks" in American English
- Visit this website to find out what's going on at UMass Dartmouth and in the surrounding communities.
If you have any questions, please email us at email@example.com . We will try to reply quickly!
Different places at or near the University for purchasing your needs
This section of the website is designed to help ease the transition for you in the United States. The following topics address some of the needs you have when you first arrive.
Where are the best place to purchase your bedding, pots & pans, kitchen supplies and toiletries? Luckily, there are many places within a reasonable distance from UMass Dartmouth where you can find everything that you need. Most household items can be purchased at WalMart (www.walmart.com), or Target (www.target.com).
There is another supermarket called Stop&Shop (http://www.stopandshop.com/) just past the Dartmouth Mall. The local bus route 9 that stops on campus goes there. While Wal-Mart has food and other supplies, Stop&Shop has basically food, such as fruit, bread, etc. Students who have a kitchen can go there to buy ingredients.
Textbooks and most school supplies can be found in our Campus Book Store. You may also go online to Amazon.com for purchasing textbooks (but that is not a school-supported website; please be aware of the liability of the sellers). Target and Walmart also sell all kinds of school supplies, such as folders, pens, pencils, etc.
Target, Walmart and Stop&Shop all sell personal daily needs. However, the closest one is Target. You can walk to Target from campus in about 15 minutes. (It depends on where your dorm is located.)
If you have any questions about how to get to a particular supermarket, please feel free to email or call us. Our email address is firstname.lastname@example.org , our number is 508-910-6633. We will be glad to assist you!