icon of a paper next to Apply online text
open door next to gray writing "Visit"
Small icon next to white bg says "Give"
plus sign and gray writing

Faculty/Staff Resources

Hiring an International Student

Student applies to department or office as either:

 Graduate Assistant

Only open to graduate students.

Assistantships may be half-time (10 hours),
full-time (20 hours), or Summer (up to 40 hours).

Positions are either as Teaching Assistant,
Research Assistant, or Graduate Assistant.


May be graduate or undergraduate.

Hours must not exceed 20/week

International Students receive no federal aid,
therefore any position is paid out
of your department/office's budget.
 If you agree to hire him or her:
For GA positions, student will pick up two forms:
  • Graduate Assistantship Recommendation and Approval Form
  • Hiring Form
As the Faculty or department sponsor, you must fill out the "Approving Funding for the Assistantship" section of the GA form. Depending on your department/college, you may need the Department Chair or Dean's signature.

Likewise, you must fill in your relevant department codes and obtain the proper signatures if you are not authorized in your department.

From the UMass Dartmouth Waiver Policy:
On the recommendation of the Graduate Council, the Provost determines each year a minimum stipend for a full-time academic year graduate assistantship (for 2008-2009, that amount was $12,500).
The specific duties for a graduate assistantship vary according to the unit offering the award, the student's field of study, and whether it is for the general purpose of teaching assistance ("TA"), research assistance ("RA"), or general administrative assistance ("GA"). The duties performed shall be at a professional level appropriate to the student's academic field, as approved by the student's department. For example, a Professional Writing graduate student could have an assistantship which involves substantial original writing or design; but just clerical duties would not be appropriate. Duties regularly done by undergraduate students, such as peer tutoring or elementary web design, cannot be the basis of a graduate assistantship.
 Social Security Numbers
 Before the student can start working, he or she needs a social security number.
New federal regulations state that international students must have a letter from their employer. Download the MS Word file and fill out.
 Notice of Non-Discrimination
 Please read and be aware of the university's non-discrimination policy. Read the statement by Vice Chancellor George Smith.





myCoursesmyCourses myAlertmyAlert LibraryLibrary
COINCOIN HRDirectHR Direct umasspassUMass Pass
ReservItReservIt ZimbraZimbra