Leadership of faculty is fundamental to internationalization of the curriculum and the educational preparation of students for a changing world. Faculty are encouraged to consider introducing a course or course component abroad that will engage student curiosity in a new way and provide one means for students to fulfill the University Studies requirements. (See full Faculty-led Study Abroad Proposal Process under Resources)
UMass Dartmouth strives to provide a safe and stimulating environment for all students. To that end, all proposed courses abroad will be reviewed by the International Programs Office and members of the International Advisory Council prior to final recommendation to the Provost. The Faculty leader and Department Chair will be asked to present the proposal and answer questions of the committee.
1) A Faculty-led Study Abroad Program Development Request is submitted to the Dept. chair and Dean prior to approaching the International Programs Office. Signatures indicate an intention of the Department to offier and promote the program, an expectation of interest among majors in the academic department.
2) Target date for initiating a program request is 12 months prior to operation. Full proposal development will be required prior to final review and approval.
- Proposal narrative
- Attach copy of the department curriculum proposal/description (for first time or revised programs)
- Line item budget (Semester or Summer/Winter )
- Database Program Profile (and for Summer/Winter only the UE Course set-up form )
- Assisting leader or third-party support identified
3) Call for Proposals (open until the following dates of the preceding year, in full and final approved format as above):
- Fall - February 5
- Winter/Spring - April 1
- Summer - October 10
4) Faculty leaders acknowledge responsibility for logistical coordination, financial arrangements, student advising and support, recruitment as well as course development and instruction.
5) All proposals will be reviewed with reference to expectations of UMD's membership in NEASC and Forum on Education Abroad.
6) The faculty leader and Dept. Chair will present the proposal and answer questions.
7) Review and approval of faculty-led programs is on an annual basis. Final Study Abroad Proposal Approval will require signatures of the IPO Director, Dept. Chair, Dean and Provost.