icon of a paper next to Apply online text
open door next to gray writing "Visit"

 Student Advising

UMass Dartmouth programs or activities, credit or non-credit, that involve UMass Dartmouth students abroad are recognized as sponsored by UMass Dartmouth.  

Any student activity abroad that receives any funding from UMass and/or is promoted by faculty, staff, or registered students groups must be escorted by authorized university personnel.  See the Leadership Guidelines

Credit-bearing study abroad

Study Abroad students are required to have on file in IPO a pre-approved course approval form signed by the academic department prior to engaging in a period of study abroad.  This form acts as an agreement between the academic department and the student for awarding of credit upon successful conclusion of the period of study abroad and becomes part of the permanent record held by the Registrar's Office.  The student is responsible for providing the academic advisor with descriptions for the courses proposed to be taken abroad and for downloading the course approval form from the IPO website, Study Abroad section.( )

Any student who proposes to undertake a credit-bearing study abroad program that is not listed as approved on the IPO website under "Programs", or is otherwise known to the IPO Director as being offered by a reputable organization, is required to discuss the proposed program with the academic department of the students major.  Approval should be based on knowledge of both the academic quality and comprehensive nature of student support provided by the program provider.  It is the student's responsibility to present the faculty advisor with an Advisor Approval Form for signature and submission to the IPO.  

All students approved for study abroad will be registered in EXH "study away on exchange" status with the UMD Registrar's Office.  EXH is a continuation status that maintains the student in good standing while away from campus and confirms an expectation that the all pre-approved courses will be accepted for credit upon receipt of the student's transcript.  EXH status carries a $250 fee billed to the student's COIN account.

The Study Abroad Forms page can be accessed here.

Non-credit student activities abroad

The student registration protocol calls for all UMass Dartmouth student engaging in any form of education-abroad activity to register with the International Programs Office.  This requirement includes internships, independent study/research, experiential learning, conference attendance and student organization activities when conducted outside the United States.  In so doing, students access advice, resources and references to support their well-being abroad and the success of their endeavors and consulting with the IPO early in the planning process is encouraged.

Is the student's planned travel connected to thier UMass Dartmouth student status? Is it a registered student club? Is any UmassD department providing any funding to the student? Will activities undertaken be written up in reports for a class, or used to fulfill any certification requirement?  Has the activity been promoted on campus by a faculty or staff member?

Faculty and staff who advise student organizations that are considering non-credit projects abroad are asked to ensure that the organization consults with the International Programs Office re: any current issues or alerts in the proposed destination and submits the appropriate program registration information in advance of any travel outside the US.  Advisors should complete the Non-credit Project Abroad Registration and ensure that each participant completes a SAIL "Risk and Release" form. All accompanying faculty/staff are expected to submit the same passport and personal information.  Early in the planning stage, you should check to see if the destination country is listed on the US State Department Travel Warning/Alert list and take into account the federal guidance  attached.  Note that activities in these countries require additional scrutiny from university administration and extra planning time should be allowed.