New England Consortium of Legal Writing Teachers Regional Conference
Just the Facts: Teaching and Assessing the Skills of Fact Analysis and Investigation
December 14, 2012
The New England Consortium of Legal Writing Teachers Regional Conference will meet at the University of Massachusetts School of Law - Dartmouth on Friday, December 14, 2012, from 9:00 am to 3:45 pm. The conference theme is “Just the Facts: Teaching and Assessing the Skills of Fact Analysis and Fact Investigation.” We invite proposals on topics including, but not limited to:
- What do we mean when we tell students to "apply the law to their facts"? What do they think we mean?
- What challenges do new law students face when trying to organize facts and draw inferences?
- Have you developed modules in your courses that relate to fact analysis or investigation?
- Do you teach fact analysis differently in the context of predictive versus advocacy writing?
- Have you included fact investigation techniques in your required or elective courses?
- What tools have you developed to measure student outcomes in the skills of fact analysis or fact investigation?
Call for Proposals
Presentations should be either 25 or 50 minutes in length. Proposals are due by Thursday, November 1, 2012. Please e-mail proposals to Shaun Spencer, Director of Legal Skills. Include the following:
- Presenter Name, Institution, Telephone and Email
- Presentation Length (25 or 50 minutes)
- Title of Presentation
- Presentation Description (max. 200 words, to be included in conference program)
- Presenter Bio
- Technology Needs or Other Special Requests
Registration Deadline – December 1, 2012
Registration is free. To register, please email your name and institution to Shaun Spencer, Director of Legal Skills, by December 1, 2012.
Download the conference program
Conference attendees will receive a group rate at the Residence Inn, 181 Faunce Corner Road, North Dartmouth, Massachusetts. Please call 508.984.5858 and mention your group name: New England Consortium of Legal Writing Teachers.
The deadline to reserve at the group rate of $102 plus tax is November 27, 2012.
The group rate will be valid for overnight stays on Thursday, December 13 and Friday, December 14. The Residence Inn is a three-minute drive from UMass Law School.
Conference attendees can thank Lexis/Nexis for its generosity in sponsoring the continental breakfast, lunch, and refreshments.
For questions about the conference, contact Shaun Spencer, Director of Legal Skills, 508.985.1192.