Spend a semester or a full academic year in Portugal’s vibrant capital city – Lisbon!
UMass in Lisbon is the only residential study abroad program in Lisbon offered by a major American university. You'll gain unrivaled access to one of the world's most important centers of strategic language, history and culture.
Jointly administered by the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth and Academic Programs International (API), an award-winning organization for educational study abroad programs.
UMass in Lisbon highlights
- Classes taught in English (except language classes for students learning Portuguese)
- International classroom experience: you’ll learn side-by-side with Portuguese students, as well as Erasmus exchange students from all over Europe.
- U.S. course credits & transcripts issued through UMass Dartmouth for ease of transfer to your home university.
- General courses on Portuguese history, society, and culture are designed to meet undergraduate distribution requirements for most majors.
- Day trips and overnight field trips to amazing destinations throughout Portugal are included in the Program at no extra cost (five trips each semester).
- Apartment-style housing in the heart of Lisbon.
- Students with proficiency in Portuguese may elect to take some courses in Portuguese.
How to apply
Course of study
You'll take courses offered by:
- UMass Dartmouth's UMass in Lisbon program (UMass Dartmouth is one of the leading universities in the US for Portuguese studies).
- University Institute of Lisbon (ISCTE) courses cover international business & management, as well as some history and culture subjects.
- New University of Lisbon (Universidade Nova) courses provide Portuguese language instruction at a variety of skill levels, from beginner to advanced.
Portuguese language courses are also available through the New University of Lisbon (NOVA).
Note: UMass in Lisbon participants are required to take at least two UMass Dartmouth general courses on Portuguese history, society, and culture. Recommended course load for participants in the UMass in Lisbon Program is four courses per semester (12 semester hours), though students may enroll in five courses (15 semester hours). With special permission from the Program Director, students may take up to six courses (18 semester hours). UMass in Lisbon students are strongly encouraged to take a Portuguese language course.
You'll choose one of two academic tracks:
International Business Track
- Take 2 of the UMass Dartmouth courses on Portuguese culture, history, and more
- and 2-3 courses from ISCTE on international business;
- or 2 courses from ISCTE on international business/management AND 1 further UMass Dartmouth course on Portuguese culture, history, and more
- or 2 courses from ISCTE on international business/management AND 1 Portuguese language course from NOVA
Liberal Arts & Humanities Track
- Take 3 of the UMass Dartmouth courses on Portuguese history, society, and culture
- and 1 Portuguese language course from NOVA
- or 1 Portuguese language course from NOVA AND 1 course from ISCTE on international business/management or history/culture
- UMass in Lisbon Program -- Course Offerings (API website)
- UMass in Lisbon Course Equivalencies 2014 for Portuguese partner university courses