Get Help for Yourself or a Friend
ON CAMPUS EMERGENCY: 508.999.9191 (9191)
OFF-CAMPUS EMERGENCY: 911
The following offices are prepared to help you consider your options and obtain needed services following a sexual assault or rape.
Also offers RAD, a self-defense program for women.
Center for Women, Gender & Sexuality
Housing and Residential Life
Residential students can also seek help from their Resident Director (RD) or the RD on duty.
Off Campus Support & Hotlines
St. Luke's Hospital and Charlton Memorial Hospital both have Sexual Assault Nurse Examiners (SANE) available to assist people who have been sexually assaulted/raped. Click here for additional information.
St. Luke's Hospital
101 Page Street
New Bedford, MA 02740
Click here for directions to St. Luke's Hospital.
Charlton Memorial Hospital
363 Highland Avenue
Fall River, MA 02720
Click here for directions to Charlton Memorial Hospital.
Fall River Police
New Bedford Police
The Women's Center
24-Hour Hotline: 508.999.6636 (508.99WOMEN)
405 County Street
New Bedford, MA 02740
- All services are free and confidential
- 24-Hour Hotline 508.999.6636 (508.99WOMEN). Professional staff provide immediate crisis intervention to ALL victims of sexual asssault and their loved ones.
- Advocacy accompaniment for all sexual assault victims to hospitals, police stations, district attorney's office and courts of law.
- Medical, legal, and psychological referrals
- Short term in-person counseling
- Support groups for women and teens
- Advocacy accompaniment and support for HIV testing
24-Hour, Multi-Lingual Hotline: 1.877.785.2020
SafeLink is a 24-hour, multi-lingual hotline for programs in Massachusetts. An advocate can talk with you about your needs and help you identify resources. They can connect you to services for both sexual assault and intimate partner/domestic violence.
Fenway Community Health, Violence Recovery Program
- Provides counseling, support groups, advocacy, and referral services to gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender (GLBT) victims of sexual assault, bias crime, domestic violence, and police misconduct.
- Other services include the region's only support group for male survivors of rape and sexual assault, a support group for GLBT domestic violence supporters, advocacy with the courts and police, and assistance with victim compensation.
- Short-term counseling to survivors and their families
- Referral services
National 24-Hour Sexual Assault Hotline: 1.800.656.HOPE
Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network (RAINN)
The Rape, Abuse & Incest National Network is the nation's largest anti-sexual assault organization. RAINN operates the National Sexual Assault Hotline at 1.800.656.HOPE and the National Sexual Assault Online Hotline at rainn.org, and publicizes the hotline's free, confidential services; educates the public about sexual assault; and leads national efforts to prevent sexual assault, improve services to victims and ensure that rapists are brought to justice.
Boston Area Rape Crisis Center (BARCC)
Boston Area Rape Crisis Center is the Boston area's only rape crisis center. The Forensics for Survivors section of their website provides the following information for survivors of sexual assault and those supporting survivors:
- If you are a survivor of sexual assault, you can learn more about your options and connect with resources and support in Massachusetts.
- Information, resources, and guidance can help if you are supporting a survivor.
- Get basic information about sexual assault forensics in Massachusetts.
Jane Doe, Inc.
Jane Doe, Inc., The Massachusetts Coalition Against Sexual Assault and Domestic Violence, brings together organizations and people committed to ending sexual assault and domestic violence. Jane Doe, Inc. operates SafeLink, a 24-hour, free, multi-lingual hotline for programs in Massachusetts (1.877.785.2020). An advocate can talk with you about your needs and help you identify shelters, programs, and other resources. They can connect you to services for both sexual assault and intimate partner/domestic violence.
National Sexual Violence Resource Center
MaleSurvivor is committed to preventing, healing, and eliminating all forms of sexual victimization of boys and men through treatment, research, education, advocacy and activism. Their website includes information for survivors and professionals about male sexual victimization as well as a Discussion Board and live Chat Room where survivors can network and support one another, anonymously if they wish. MaleSurvivor also publishes a newsletter and sponsors periodic conferences and healing retreats.
The largest internet resource dealing with sexual misconduct, exploitation, and abuse of clients by mental health professionals, medical professionals, clergy, lawyers, educators, and law enforcement officials. AdvocateWeb offers extensive free resources for victims, survivors, their families, friends, victim advocates, and professionals seeking to address this problem.
Download What you need to know about rape and sexual assault , a handbook produced by the Boston Area Rape Crisis Center.