Frequently Asked Questions

Does the Mathematics Education Ph.D. program offer guaranteed funding?

We work very hard to fund our doctoral students through teaching assistantships, research grants, campus fellowships, and other opportunities in partnership with the Kaput Center. However, we cannot guarantee any number of assistantships in a given year. If you need funding, please indicate this in your application.

Can my letters of recommendation and transcripts be submitted separate from my application?

Yes. They can be sent by mail, email, or fax directly to the graduate office:

285 Old Westport Road
North Dartmouth, MA 02747-2300
phone +1 508 999-8604; fax +1 508 999-8183

Do you require an interview as part of the admissions process?

The Mathematics Education Ph.D. program strongly prefers to conduct an interview with all applicants. These conversations can be done in person, online (e.g., Skype), or by telephone. This helps the faculty better understand your interest in our program and how you might fit it. It provides you with an opportunity to ask any questions you might have. To set up a meeting with the Graduate Program Coordinator, contact the STEM Education & Teacher Development secretary, Carol Hansen at 508.999.8262.


Can I begin in the Spring?

Our program is designed for a Fall semester start. We typically do not allow students to begin in the Spring. If you have special circumstances, please contact the Graduate Program Director to discuss your case.

Can I submit transcripts or do they need to come from the institutions I attended?

The Office of Graduate Studies requires that transcripts be mailed directly from the univerisities you have previously attended. They will not accept transcripts that you submit, even if they are still sealed.

How are GRE scores considered in your admissions decision?

The faculty carefully reviews the entire applications of our prospective students. GRE scores are one element we consider in our effort to understand your likelihood of success in our program. However, we do not use them as a sole measure. Previous experience, research interests, part coursework, and letters of recommendation are also carefully considered in our decision-making process.

I am an international student but have completed all of my studies in English, do I still need to take the TOEFL?

From our graduate catalog: "Applicants from countries where English is not the national language and/or whose schooling has not been primarily in English must take the Test of English as a Foreighn Language (TOEFL). TOEFL is not required of applicants who have earned a college or university degree in the United States or an English-speaking country, or who have completed an academic year of college or university study in the United States before beginning studies at UMass Dartmouth."