Congratulations on your acceptance to UMass Dartmouth Online!
You probably have some questions about how to proceed.
Please view the UMass Dartmouth Online Student Orientation, which provides you with information on how to set up your email account, access COIN (our online registration system), information about student support services and the software you will use for your online courses, and more.
Our presentation for accepted students provides all the basic need-to-know information for success with UMass Dartmouth Online.
The frequently asked questions below pertain to both current and recently accepted students.
Please feel free to contact us if you have other questions.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I register for online courses?
There are two ways to register for online courses:
- UMass Dartmouth Matriculated/Current Students: Using your UMass Dartmouth ID and password, you may log in to COIN (Corsairs Online Information) which enables students to pay tuition and fees online by credit card.
New Students (if you have not yet activated COIN): Register by phone, in person, or by mail. Contact the Enrollment Center: 508-999-9129. Download the PCE/Online Registration Form (PDF)
How can I purchase my textbooks?
Textbooks can be purchased through the university bookstore by using its Online Services.
How do I find my advisor?
Your advisor will be listed in COIN. Log in and click the arrow next to Academic Records, then find My Advisor. If you have not been assigned an advisor, you can contact your program for more information.
Can online students apply for financial aid?
If the myCourses system is temporarily unavailable, will professors grant assignment extensions?
Each course instructor has policies regarding technology and assignment completion. Review the syllabus information carefully in your online course and if you have questions, ask your instructor.
How long does it usually take for instructors to respond to student emails and requests?
Each instructor posts course communication policies in his/her syllabus information. Take time to review the course policies carefully.
Are there accommodations for online learning disabled students?
Please see the Center for Access and Success if you have and learning disability and concerns about the online learning environment.
What resources are available for technology help?
Review the UMass Dartmouth Online Technology page for a list of resources including setup help, policies and more.
How can I check out books and access library databases?
Your UMass Pass doubles as your library card. It will help ensure that you have access to the full range of Carney Library services. An active UMass Pass may even be helpful when interacting with libraries in your local area. Since you’re responsible for material checked out to your UMass Pass, it is very important that you contact us immediately in the event that your card is lost or stolen. So, to sum it up, the OFFICIAL Library Policies are:
- An active UMass Pass is required for student borrowing privileges.
- You must notify the library if your UMass Pass is lost or stolen. You are responsible for all items taken out using your card.
- Your account and library card privileges are valid ONLY as long as you remain a student at the University of Massachusetts Dartmouth.
- Your library account will automatically be renewed as long as your are registered as a matriculating student. If you experience problems with accessing library resources and services you should check your university status, the problem may be there.
How can online students acquire a UMass Pass?
Online students matriculated into a undergraduate or graduate degree program are encouraged to request a UMass Pass, the official university identification card. Your UMass Pass not only will give you access to student discounts wherever you live, but also doubles as your library card for online library services.
To request your UMass Pass, follow this link and log in with your UMass Dartmouth email user name and password: https://webapps.umassd.edu/umasspass/
Once you have received your UMass Pass ID card - please proceed with the following instructions:
- Verify your name, picture, and ID number
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org notifying the office that you received your card and that all the information is correct so it may be activated.
- Report lost or stolen cards online at http://www.umasspass.com/
- If your card becomes lost or stolen, a replacement can be obtained for a $25 USD fee.
- Send a check to:
UMass Pass Office:
285 Old Westport Road North Dartmouth, MA 02747-2300
- Replacement cards must also be activated via e-mail.